Cooper (CMSRU) vs. Florida State (FSU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahhhsomanyquestions

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate your help with this quick decision. I was accepted by one of these programs today and have 5 days to make a decision.

CMSRU:
Pros:
  • I really got a sense during interview day and the in-person tour that the students are extremely happy that they chose CMSRU. It seems like a really collaborative environment and I feel that I fit in well with the vibe of the student body.
  • I really like their service learning opportunities and the integration of humanities courses into the curriculum.
  • Later start date (vs. FSU as I will mention later).
  • Most students live in Philly, which is a great city with plenty to do.
  • I’ve heard good things about Cooper Hospital and it seems like there isn’t a huge competition for good rotations.
  • The faculty seems phenomenal and really invested in the students’ education.
Cons:
  • ~99k out of state estimated cost of living per year (~70k out of state tuition)
  • Far from my family

FSU:
Pros:
  • Close to home, close to family
  • ~69k in-state estimated cost of living per year (~29k in-state tuition)
Cons:
  • May 30th start date. I would have to find an apartment and move to Tallahassee in less than 30 days, and my current lease doesn’t end until the end of August.
  • Have to move to a different city in Florida for clinical rotations (I don’t really like any of the cities that rotations are in) and you’re not guaranteed your first choice of location.
  • From my conversations with the faculty during my interview, they didn’t seem very enthused about the program or invested in the students’ education. I tried to set them up with opportunities to talk positively about the program (what brought you to FSU, how would you describe the student body, what is your favorite part about FSU, etc.) and received somewhat negative responses to those questions.
  • Tallahassee is a very party/alcohol/-oriented city and most of the students that I talked to said that they like to enjoy the social/party scene in their free time. Nothing against this, just not really my vibe.

A brief synopsis: I know the pros and cons list is extremely skewed, but I feel like the cost of attendance weighs a lot as a point. I pretty much love everything about CMSRU and could see myself thriving there, but the cost of attendance is so much higher than FSU. I am really nervous about being in a ton of debt when I graduate, especially because I’m not sure what specialty I want to pursue yet (my current thoughts are EM, a subspecialty of IM, or IR, but this is subject to change). I will be paying for school entirely with loans. Any advice you have is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What would be your total COA for FSU and CMRSU?

Usually I condone the cheaper school, but FSU seems unrealistic to attend with your personal circumstances therefore I would recommend CMRSU.

It would be a scramble but you’re only losing like 3 months rents compared to the 120k difference in cost. Cooper at 400k before interest is too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your opinions. Do you think I would have any leverage with my other admissions offer to email Cooper admissions and ask for some sort of price reduction? I applied for their need-based scholarship and was offered $0.

Thank you both for your opinions. Do you think I would have any leverage with my other admissions offer to email Cooper admissions and ask for some sort of price reduction? I applied for their need-based scholarship and was offered $0.
Emailing wouldn't hurt but I would not get my expectations up too high.