Cooperation among residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buddy 2004

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone out there has heard of different residency programs in the same city/area getting together every once in a while for combined lectures or other activities. We are trying to start one up and I wanted to get some ideas before the first planning meeting. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think Loyola, Rush, and Marianjoy do that.

I think Temple and UPenn get together on some anatomy stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
Temple, Upenn, & Jefferson get together for 3 city wide courses a year. These are 2-3 days. At Jefferson, we attend each course 2 times during our residency

1. Moss (affiliate of Jefferson/Temple) - Gait and orthotics
2. Upenn - Amputee and prosthetics
3. Jefferson - Electrodiagnostics

There is also an evening anatomy course taught by Caron Schneck at Temple. In recent times, Jefferson residents are given the option of attending (but not required).

My perception is that the Philadelphia programs do a better job than most in working together.

The NYC programs occasionally have lectures as part of a NY PM+R society. I think they meet once a month.

The 2 UMDNJ programs have some cross-over. They meet 1-2 times yearly for the NJ PM+R society. The JFK residents do their spinal cord rotations at Kessler, so they integrate through that. They also share some courses together, and most of the JFK residents come to the Kessler review course. By the end of the 3 years, most of the UMDNJ residents know each other pretty well.

There are also some pairings that occur because of friendships amongst attendings. For example, Mike Geraci from Buffalo has a close relationship with both RIC and Michigan St, and lectures at both facilities frequently. This creates a bit of a relationship between the programs.

Similarly, I was recently hired at Arkansas to run their sports and spine program, and my close friend was hired for the same position at the University of Kansas. I anticipate that this will create some level of partnership, or at least familiarity, between the University of Arkansas and the University of Kansas programs

In Philly, we do clinical work together as well. Upenn residents rotate at Magee (jefferson affililiate) for inpatient SCI. Jefferson residents rotate at Moss (both a temple and jeff affiliate, but more traditionally Temple) for Amputee, EMG, Outpatient, and occasionally an elective. There have actually been discussions between all three programs about more clinical rotations that are shared.

I have to admit that I did not think that this was unique situation in philadelphia. But I guess it is a matter of the egos of program directors, department chairs, and medical directors having the best interest of learning in mind. (There is also a money issue...but I don't even want to try and understand that part.)

Yes Rush, Loyola and Marionjoy residency programs do host a monthly lecture series dubbed the Brown Bag Lecture with current/past lecturers being authorities in their respective fields from all over the country, not just from Chicago.

Along those lines there is some amount of comraderie among the residency training as well. Rush residents will rotate at Loyola/Hines VA for some rotations, Loyola residents will rotate at Marionjoy for some required rotations, Marionjoy residents will rotate at Loyola for some of their rotations. I believe at one time it was one residency that combined Loyola, Rush and Marionjoy together and slowly they went their separate ways but maintained their connections.

Schwab and the RIC programs are the ones that tend to stay on their own, but I believe Schwab also has some amount of comraderie with RIC and sends their residents there for some rotations as well.

Hope that helps...