copper

Started by methlover
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

methlover

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Q: 69% of naturally occurring copper is copper-63.If only one other isotope is present in natural copper, what is it?

choices:
A)copper-61
B)copper-62
C)copper-64
D)copper-65

Here is how I tried to solve this problem. I looked at the periodic table, and the atomic weight for copper is 63.5g/mol. So I can eliminate choice A and B. Now I am left with copper-64 and copper-65. Since copper 64 is close to 63.5g/mol than copper 65, isn't copper-64 the other isotope present in natural copper??

I don't even remember learning this in gen. chem. Someone try to explain why it's copper-65 instead of copper-64 because the book's explanation didn't help me much.
 
Q: 69% of naturally occurring copper is copper-63.If only one other isotope is present in natural copper, what is it?

choices:
A)copper-61
B)copper-62
C)copper-64
D)copper-65

Here is how I tried to solve this problem. I looked at the periodic table, and the atomic weight for copper is 63.5g/mol. So I can eliminate choice A and B. Now I am left with copper-64 and copper-65. Since copper 64 is close to 63.5g/mol than copper 65, isn't copper-64 the other isotope present in natural copper??

I don't even remember learning this in gen. chem. Someone try to explain why it's copper-65 instead of copper-64 because the book's explanation didn't help me much.

so the atomic weight is the average weight of all the isotopes of an atom. so if 69% is copper-63, if the only other isotope is copper 64, the average shouldn't be exactly in between 63 and 64, right? it should be closer to 63, because it's just like saying, I have 10 numbers, 7 of which are 63, and 3 of which are 64. The average won't be 63.5, it'll be closer to 63. So it has to be the heavier isotope, which will raise the average to 63.5.
 
Q: 69% of naturally occurring copper is copper-63.If only one other isotope is present in natural copper, what is it?

choices:
A)copper-61
B)copper-62
C)copper-64
D)copper-65

Here is how I tried to solve this problem. I looked at the periodic table, and the atomic weight for copper is 63.5g/mol. So I can eliminate choice A and B. Now I am left with copper-64 and copper-65. Since copper 64 is close to 63.5g/mol than copper 65, isn't copper-64 the other isotope present in natural copper??

I don't even remember learning this in gen. chem. Someone try to explain why it's copper-65 instead of copper-64 because the book's explanation didn't help me much.

Mathematically: (0.69)(63) = 43.47...(0.31)(x) = 63.5-43.47
x = 65