Copying/pasting for secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thatoneguy3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for my secondaries I have mainly been drafting them in a google doc so I can get away with looking over them while I am at work while I have down time, but does anyone else notice sometimes weird characters are inserted after you cut and paste? For me most of it is just " or ', which I feel anyone evaluating it should at least notice "ok it is probably something wrong on our end" but I would like to make my secondaries look as clean as possible. I usually use format painter in a word document to make everything standard as normal text, but it doesn't always work?

Members don't see this ad.

So for my secondaries I have mainly been drafting them in a google doc so I can get away with looking over them while I am at work while I have down time, but does anyone else notice sometimes weird characters are inserted after you cut and paste? For me most of it is just " or ', which I feel anyone evaluating it should at least notice "ok it is probably something wrong on our end" but I would like to make my secondaries look as clean as possible. I usually use format painter in a word document to make everything standard as normal text, but it doesn't always work?
This happened to me, and I almost wasn’t extended several interviews. Symbols like “;” and “&” and even quotations, commas, question marks, and exclamation marks get fudged up a lot, and unfortunately, some application readers will think that it’s YOUR fault.

My advice to you...don’t pay it any mind and move forward. You can’t fix what you can’t fix

Members don't see this ad :)
I copy and paste, but look over my essays once I paste? They should be fine, right?

This happened to me, and I almost wasn’t extended several interviews. Symbols like “;” and “&” and even quotations, commas, question marks, and exclamation marks get fudged up a lot, and unfortunately, some application readers will think that it’s YOUR fault.

My advice to you...don’t pay it any mind and move forward. You can’t fix what you can’t fix
How does everyone feel about emailing or calling schools explaining this? Do you think it’ll show some form of responsibility or make us sound like winers

How does everyone feel about emailing or calling schools explaining this? Do you think it’ll show some form of responsibility or make us sound like winers
I didn’t bother. If it was happening to me, I figured it was most likely happening to other applicants as well. My only pet peeve was being told about my grammatical “mistakes,” “formatting errors, and “lack of proofreading” during interviews...when I spent countless hours ensuring that I avoided just that. Whatever. I’m over it....clearly

I didn’t bother. If it was happening to me, I figured it was most likely happening to other applicants as well. My only pet peeve was being told about my grammatical “mistakes,” “formatting errors, and “lack of proofreading” during interviews...when I spent countless hours ensuring that I avoided just that. Whatever. I’m over it....clearly
Did this really happen in multiple interviews?

When you paste, make sure you use the paste as plain text option. Additionally, you should always read through it once more before submitting and use the preview option if there is one (some secondary portals have it, other don't)

Yikes. Seems like the interviewer could have used that time more productively. How did you respond? Did you get accepted to any of those schools (curious in case it happens to me)?
At the time, I chose not to argue with her. I wasn’t exactly sure what my interviewer was referring to, until I looked back and checked. The only error i had was a misspelling of the word Sophomore (bc why is there an extra O btw h and m?) End result: accepted, but choose a more affordable school

Last edited: