Cornell (IS) vs. WSU (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

conk15

Reaction score
Hello!

I’m currently struggling to decide between WSU and Cornell. I’m a NY resident and Cornell is actually in my hometown! I attended both schools’ open houses, but am obviously more familiar with Cornell/Ithaca. I feel like I have a better sense of the positives/negatives of Cornell from being so close, while WSU I’ve only seen through the open house.
I’d be grateful if current/former students have any insight on either school, or have had a similar decision to make.

I’m a 24 y/o non-traditional-ish student; I have a background in biomedical research. I’m interested in SA, still undecided whether GP or specialty.

Cornell, ~42k tuition a year
Pros:
- My hometown/collegetown. Friends, family, dog show community, etc all in the area
- I know I love Ithaca
- Opportunities for research and getting experience in specialties
- I think the block system/PBL would work well for me, though I’ve never had classes like that so kind of an unknown!
- Seems to have a lot of hands-on experience
- They already sent me financial information

Cons:
- Slightly higher tuition overall
- Higher cost of living
- I’ve heard that faculty can be difficult to approach and that students don’t feel supported during the clinical year

WSU, 63k tuition 1st year then 27k after establish residency
Pros:
- Faculty/students at open house were all so friendly and open, it seemed like they care about students’ well-being
- Curriculum style more what I’m used to
- Pass/fail
- Would be fun to live in a new area
- Lower cost of living
- Slightly cheaper tuition overall

Cons:
- Pullman is a smaller, more rural town
- So far from everyone I know, would need to build support network
- Moving costs/logistics
- Travel costs
- Less opportunities to do things with my dogs (mainly fun places to walk and shows)
- Won’t know exact financial information until May due to FAFSA delay

TIA!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I’m currently struggling to decide between WSU and Cornell. I’m a NY resident and Cornell is actually in my hometown! I attended both schools’ open houses, but am obviously more familiar with Cornell/Ithaca. I feel like I have a better sense of the positives/negatives of Cornell from being so close, while WSU I’ve only seen through the open house.
I’d be grateful if current/former students have any insight on either school, or have had a similar decision to make.

I’m a 24 y/o non-traditional-ish student; I have a background in biomedical research. I’m interested in SA, still undecided whether GP or specialty.

Cornell, ~42k tuition a year
Pros:
- My hometown/collegetown. Friends, family, dog show community, etc all in the area
- I know I love Ithaca
- Opportunities for research and getting experience in specialties
- I think the block system/PBL would work well for me, though I’ve never had classes like that so kind of an unknown!
- Seems to have a lot of hands-on experience
- They already sent me financial information

Cons:
- Slightly higher tuition overall
- Higher cost of living
- I’ve heard that faculty can be difficult to approach and that students don’t feel supported during the clinical year

WSU, 63k tuition 1st year then 27k after establish residency
Pros:
- Faculty/students at open house were all so friendly and open, it seemed like they care about students’ well-being
- Curriculum style more what I’m used to
- Pass/fail
- Would be fun to live in a new area
- Lower cost of living

Cons:
- Moving costs/logistics
- Travel costs
- Less opportunities to do things with my dogs (mainly fun places to walk and shows)
- Won’t know exact financial information until May due to FAFSA delay

TIA!!
Congratulations on getting into both schools!!!
I can give some insight on the Cornell side. To start PBL for many people me included was a HUGE adjustment. During block 1 I was not a fan of it bc it can feel like you are teaching yourself and don’t really ever get told the right answer. I don’t want to scare you but to be honest It’s stressful in the in moment AT FIRST. Once block 1 is over is where I think it really becomes useful bc you are less overwhelmed and have a strategy. You also start to realize part of the goal of PBL is really to develop skills to find information which I think will help us a future vets. The cases are really nice to apply what you learn in the others blocks. PBL is really only used in the first 2 years. The block system isn’t bad, only when you’re trying to explain it to friends lol. I think first year is very hands on but then it does slow down a bit. But there are many hands on opportunities outside of class as well through clubs, student run clinics and hospital jobs. As for clinics I’ve heard it depends on the department and they have made several changes over the past year to try to improve the experience for students.

I don’t know much about WSU but I’m sure you would do great at either 😊

Reactions: 1 user
There are rumors about this about every vet school, some valid and some not. I know many people who went to my school who didn't feel supported at any point, while I felt an enormous amount of support. To get a good view of this, youd need to talk to a lot of students. A close friend from undergrad who went to Washington enjoyed her time.

Clinical year sucks no matter where you go.
I worked as the student ambassador coordinator and gave tours a ton, volunteered for big stuff, etc. While I never lied, the point of open house and tours is to make the school look good. So take it with a grain of salt.
- Lower cost of living
I cannot express to you how important this is now that I'm paying loans. The cheaper tuition and COL adds up over time when you factor in interest.
- Moving costs/logistics
- Travel costs
This is less intense than it sounds. I moved from Denver to Illinois (granted that's about a third of the distance you'd move!). But you make it work.
Think about how just under half of all vet students are OOS. You won't be the only one in this situation by any stretch.
Pullman by population is actually slightly larger than Ithaca (by about 1000) people and is actually twice as large in area than Ithaca (11 square miles vs 6 square miles). It obviously also depends on the other surrounding cities/towns, which will add to the pop/area. A lot of the college towns that vet schools are in are actually quite similar with a few exceptions. There's a great thread around here where a group of us compared who is farthest from Target, Starbucks, Cracker Barrel, etc. during the pandemic cause we were bored. Might be eye opening!

Reactions: 1 users