Cornell MD-PhD Admissions Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iamdumb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just checked my status on the Status Check Page for the Cornell Application and it said:

"The MDPhD office mailed a final admissions decision to you."

Is that a rejection or do I just wait?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Rejection, sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess i'm not even going to bother to fill out the cornell secondaries.

i guess i'm not even going to bother to fill out the cornell secondaries.

I wouldn't give up. They consider you for MD only if they reject you for PHD. Plus you never know how things will turn out. I thought they would laugh at my app and I ended up with an interview. If its a school you want (and money is not too short) I say fill it out and give it a shot. :luck:

I wouldn't give up. They consider you for MD only if they reject you for PHD. Plus you never know how things will turn out. I thought they would laugh at my app and I ended up with an interview. If its a school you want (and money is not too short) I say fill it out and give it a shot. :luck:

how hard is it to get into MD/PhD?

a guy who went to my high school (about 10 years ago) got into stanford md/phd several years back, after being rejected from utoronto md and/or md/phd. but in ontario, i've heard md/phd described as the "backdoor" way into medical school.

i certainly don't necessarily agree with that, but i can't say that i know that the greatest applicants to medical school also apply to md/phd - so i have no idea how competitive it is.

how hard is it to get into MD/PhD?

a guy who went to my high school (about 10 years ago) got into stanford md/phd several years back, after being rejected from utoronto md and/or md/phd. but in ontario, i've heard md/phd described as the "backdoor" way into medical school.

i certainly don't necessarily agree with that, but i can't say that i know that the greatest applicants to medical school also apply to md/phd - so i have no idea how competitive it is.

I have no idea how it is in Canada but in the US it's no piece of cake getting in. The thing about MD/PHD here is that if you are an applicant with solid numbers and good research your app cycle is much less of a crapshoot than regular MD people. But if you have any flaw on your record the MD/PHD people will find it and they tend to be less forgiving than the MD people. So if you are a person with lots of research and no clicical then MD/PHD could easily be your backdoor in. But if anything about you is subpar the process can be very stressful.

Where is the Tri-I app status page?

There's a thread in pre-allo with links to status pages. The one for Cornell is up there as well.

but in ontario, i've heard md/phd described as the "backdoor" way into medical school.

No Canadian school offers "full funding" the way American schools do. This means most American MD/PhD students are getting a stipend and full tuition and fee coverage for the entire program. One or two Canadian schools will make special deals to do this with applicants they think are strong enough to get into American schools, but by no means is this common. Usually Canadian MD/PhDs have to pay for their MD just like their classmates or they get a scholarship for their tuition but still have to pay their own living expenses while in medical school.

My observation is that when full funding is taken away, the MD/PhD program becomes as competitive or even less competitive than the medical school. This usually accounts for those sort of "backdoor" sentiments that I've heard from medical students at American med schools without fully-funded MD/PhD programs.

This usually accounts for those sort of "backdoor" sentiments

great replies everyone. shows a mechanism for why such a "sentiment" would exist. i was actually afraid i was mistaken on the existence of the sentiment - so i was expecting the possibility of angry replies (of denial). but everything has been well answered here.