Cornell Postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avanafil

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked into Cornell's postbac, and I want to go there. The only problem is that it is $50k! How stupid would one have to be to take a loan for $50k for a postbac?

Would I be better off working as an EMT for my glide year?

Thanks peeps.

@Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on what area you're struggling in. If GPA is an issue (and I'd say a serious one), then sure, consider a postbacc. If volunteering/work experience is the issue, stick with EMT.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.6GPA and 27 (10/7/10)

yeah my ECs could use a little boosting, I just love netflix too much haha

Why do you want to do a postbac when you have a 3.7 (or a 3.6 idk you keep changing it).
it's like a 3.63 but next semester will be a 3.69 so sometimes i say 3.7 sometimes 3.6

With a 3.7 GPA, smoking $50k worth of crack is a better investment.

Reactions: 2 users
What about LECOM's $12k postbac? Could I apply to MD schools, then do the postbac, and if i don't get into any MDs, then go DO? I mean as long as DOs = MDs moneywise, im down.

What about LECOM's $12k postbac? Could I apply to MD schools, then do the postbac, and if i don't get into any MDs, then go DO? I mean as long as DOs = MDs moneywise, im down.
Fine, $12k worth of crack. If you really love money as much as this post says you do, then don't consider a postbacc. Go volunteer/research.

Does anybody, off the top of their head, know how easy it is to get a job as an EMT? If I complete the training and everything, is it pretty much walk in and sign up, or is it harder?

Pretty darn hard. Depending on your area. Some places have done away with emt and hire paramedics. Others want experience.

To give you an example, my friend could only find a job for a private company that deals with people being Baker Acted, which no other emergency service deals with. Welcome to Florida. And not the cow fields, but the city.

Contact your local program and see if they offer the percent of people that find a job.

Look up your hospitals and see what they say or if there are job search options on their website.

Reactions: 1 user
Being volunteer on fire dept or community ambulance is much more likely path for a newly minted EMT
Are there any jobs similar to EMTs that are in high demand and will have an open job with my name on it when i graduate?

Off the top of my head, security/event staff which occasionally pay a bit more for EMT over just any warm body. My guess is most jobs for EMT will not have all that much patient care at any level that would be much impact for an adcom. If you are looking for paid employment that will have something with clinical experience that will have some impact with adcom, EMT is not the path.
What else is there that doesn't require additional degrees? EMT/CNA offer clinical exposure and they do have an impact (at least at a particular school)

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at your "traffic ticket" post, I would highly doubt that you could be hired on an ambulance crew despite your demonstrated ability to drive fast. Wiping bottoms as a CNA might be possible. Frankly, I'd recommend getting a job at a bench or as a clinical research coordinator and doing some volunteering on the side. You might eventually climb the ladder in research science or research administration because it is highly unlikely you'll be going to med school.

What else is there that doesn't require additional degrees? EMT/CNA offer clinical exposure and they do have an impact (at least at a particular school)
I'm a surgical tech and I absolutely love it. I did have to do an online certification course, but all the technical training was done by the surgeon I work for.

Looking at your "traffic ticket" post, I would highly doubt that you could be hired on an ambulance crew despite your demonstrated ability to drive fast. Wiping bottoms as a CNA might be possible. Frankly, I'd recommend getting a job at a bench or as a clinical research coordinator and doing some volunteering on the side. You might eventually climb the ladder in research science or research administration because it is highly unlikely you'll be going to med school.
lol didn't notice who the op was until now :D

I'm a surgical tech and I absolutely love it. I did have to do an online certification course, but all the technical training was done by the surgeon I work for.
true, your position sounded exciting lol

Sorry.

Last edited:
I think LizzyM has many more important things to do anyway than get offended from a internet troll who whines about random things

Yeah I actually do feel bad about that. But I mean...she was asking for it. Saying I will end up in administration when...that's where she is.

@LizzyM I do sincerely apologize. I'm a stupid ****. Accept my apologies?

Pisses me off to see someone insult probably the most prominent and experienced adcom SDN. Saying you still want to try, you disagree with her, whatever, but personal insults are never called for.
It's water off this duck's back but thanks for having my back, @gonnif

@Avanafil, I am a medical school administrator, an adcom member for 10+years and I teach medical students. I was never "pre-med" and I never applied to med school.

No, for a few reasons

1) It become a fashion a few years ago for premeds to earn an EMT as a quick EC without doing anything else so it really has lost its any value by adcoms
2) EMTs have mostly, a limited, non-hospital, non-physician observing clinical experience in that role
3) Hospital volunteering/paid clinical experience can be seen as much more to have both patient interaction and physician observation

The value of EMT really goes to those who have lengthy experience in paid or volunteer, get leadership positions in a volunteer organization such an ambulance corps, or use it as a stepping stone to advanced certifications, trauma tech, and ER or similar work
huh interesting. wasn't aware it became so mainstream!

It's water off this duck's back but thanks for having my back, @gonnif

@Avanafil, I am a medical school administrator, an adcom member for 10+years and I teach medical students. I was never "pre-med" and I never applied to med school.

It's still dumb as a doorknob for @Avanafil to say what he did. I know lots of hospital administrators that were physicians as well............

Administration at higher levels is an incredibly difficult job and has a lot of responsibilities.

Who does he think he is insulting other careers out there? @Avanafil please pursue another career because you will never serve in the best interest of the patient.

Who does he think he is insulting other careers out there? @Avanafil please pursue another career because you will never serve in the best interest of the patient.
If you look at his other posts, it becomes clear that the troll does not have the ability to enter medicine, and is already considering other careers.

If you look at his other posts, it becomes clear that the troll does not have the ability to enter medicine, and is already considering other careers.
Enjoy your ortho residency. ;)

Enjoy your ortho residency. ;)
I would respond to this but I don't see how it pertains to anything being discussed.

For your information, if I am fortunate enough to match into ortho, I most certainly will enjoy my residency, and the many years of practice I will be afforded upon completion of my training.

I would respond to this but I don't see how it pertains to anything being discussed.

For your information, if I am fortunate enough to match into ortho, I most certainly will enjoy my residency, and the many years of practice I will be afforded upon completion of my training.
You will match in. :)