Cornell Secondary Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oli84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm working on the Cornell secondary, and looking at the website and other various print materials it is obvious that they're very much into research. Now, I have done research and put it into my AMCAS and all, but I did not mention it at all in my personal statement. It wasn't that I did not like it all, I thought research was OK, just not something I want to base my career on. The reason I didn't mention it in my essay was that it did not fit with the overall theme of the PS.

Do you think I could still mention in the secondary that I did research and that it is a reason why Cornell appeals to me?

PS. Most of the threads I've started have been questions and I'm starting to feel a little guilty. I'll start to be less of a leecher from now :p

Members don't see this ad.

sure, why not, i did

Members don't see this ad :)
Shaz said:
sure, why not, i did
hmm something seems fishy here. I don't know, could it be the fact that you have 0+ posts and this was probably just a hastily created screenname?

Please tell me more about why you thought about going ahead with putting research down instead of a 5-word reply. Thanks!

Absolutely. The whole point of the secondary is to find out more about you that isn't in your AMCAS (well, that and $$$). Don't lie and say you want to go to their school to do research if you don't, but definitely mention what you gained from the experience and how it relates to your potential success at and interest in cornell.

Yeah, I am in a similar situation, and I will mention research in the secondary. I have been very involved in research (4 semesters in a lab at school and 2 summer programs) and I have enjoyed it. I didn't mention it in my PS, though, because it didn't fit in very well, and also because I thought my interest in research would be conveyed through my involvment and LOR. I used the PS to expound on more personal things that really can't be found in any other sections of AMCAS.

On the secondary, though, I will definitely mention it, and I don't think there will be any problem. They might be a little confused, however, if someone did research for a semester, and didn't list it in the ECs because they didn't like it dand didn't feel it was significant, yet went on at length about how much they loved research.

On the note of the Cornell secondary....I submitted my AMCAS and had it processed/verified in mid-June....yet Cornell still has not sent me anything about their seconary, whereas I know people who submitted way after me who got the secondary in their email. Does anyone know if they screen the AMCAS or is their sending order completely random??? Just wondering--thanks!

bidster said:
On the note of the Cornell secondary....I submitted my AMCAS and had it processed/verified in mid-June....yet Cornell still has not sent me anything about their seconary, whereas I know people who submitted way after me who got the secondary in their email. Does anyone know if they screen the AMCAS or is their sending order completely random??? Just wondering--thanks!
no screen here, everyone gets the secondary. if you haven't already,(not to you, but a general public service announcement) MAKE SURE YOUR EMAIL BULK FILTERS ARE TURNED OFF WHILE WAITING FOR MED SCHOOL STUFF.

i would politely email or call the office and ask where your secondary is.

Thanks guys. Although I haven't done as much research as FaytIND (one summer but 8 hrs a day) I really enjoyed the experience. I made the changes to my secondary mentioning the experience and I'm going to send it out soon. I guess the adcoms would understand -- the secondary is for stuff that you haven't already written down in your AMCAS PS anyway.