Cornell vs Georgia Tech vs UGA Honors for Premed

Started by treeman13
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

treeman13

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I’m planning on going the premed route and was fortunate enough to get into Cornell, Georgia Tech, and the UGA Honors College as a Biology major. I’m pretty stuck on what to choose.

My family is able and willing to pay the full cost for Cornell (~$400k), and they would also be willing to pay for med school, which I’m very grateful for. Still, I want to be mindful of the cost if it doesn’t actually give me a meaningful advantage. Georgia Tech and UGA would basically be free for me since I’m in-state.

A bit more context: I’m pretty much set on premed and I would have connections in Georgia since my dad is in the medical field and we live in the Atlanta suburbs. Distance from family does matter to me, but my main goal is to maximize my chances at a top med school without having to go somewhere where I'd only have be studying for classes to combat GPA deflation instead of building my resume in other aspects.

The factors im considering are...

Cornell: strongest reputation and opportunities, highest ceiling but very expensive (and bad GPA deflation?)

Georgia Tech: rigorous, respected, great research/clinical access in Atlanta, and free( but even worse GPA deflation?)

UGA Honors: free, Honors, potentially easier to maintain a high GPA and build extracurriculars. Main con is being farther from a major medical hub like Atlanta and lack of prestige.

TL;DR: Cornell costs ~$400k vs. Georgia Tech/UGA being free. Family can pay, but I want to be responsible. For premed and top med school placement, is Cornell meaningfully better, or is the free option (if so, which one?) the smarter move? Is there anything else I'm not considering?
 
Pre-med is generally competitive. Cornell will likely be marginally more competitive than UGA and GTech if I had to guess, as far as pre-med majors go. I think for you it should come down to where YOU would feel most comfortable pursuing 4 years of coursework, clinical experience, shadowing, volunteering, and research (if you are in to that). Pre-med is a lot of work and having a support system is 100% a plus, but getting out of your proverbial bubble in Georgia might be good as well. Being near communities you may want to serve as a physician or that align with your mission (if you have one, not something you SHOULD have at this point) may also be beneficial. My advice would be to do it on feeling – most colleges have good pre-med infrastructure, but you likely won't feel at-home or in the right place at all colleges, so going to X school for marginally better experiences for the sole purpose of being more competitive in the application process is not the right way to go about this I think. Others may disagree.

For finances, it seems like that is not a current issue for you, but there is nothing saying it won't become a future issue. The most common advice I've seen over the past 4 years of lurking on reddit and SDN is that cheaper undergrad is generally better, especially true now given the recent loan changes.
 
If you are going premed, you should be gearing up for a challenging curriculum and evaluating how effective each school's advising structure is. I think each of your choices has strong prehealth advising, but the benefits of "prestige" come with effort and opportunity. What opportunities does each program give you for serving the community, clarifying your purpose, and giving you the college experience you want (explicitly put, how important is college football vs. hockey to your sense of community).

Furthermore, why do you want to go to a brand-name medical school? How do you value your in-state options (MD and DO)? Which option gives you opportunities to go away from campus? You can always find a research experience away from campus, and each school should have a good study abroad/international experiences office if you wanted that.

With OB3, you must do what you can to keep any debts low. You are privileged to choose a debt-free college experience and perhaps a low-cost medical school experience.
 
Moved to hSDN.

If you are fairly set on medicine, probably UGA. If you're still fairly interested in biomedical engineering or bioinformatics and may do that instead of pursuing med school, Georgia Tech is likely best. You're not going to get a substantially different experience at Cornell to justify full sticker price.