Cornell vs. Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

e1695654

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been fortunate enough to get accepted off the waitlist at Harvard after committing to Weill Cornell, and am now having a very, very difficult time deciding where I want to spend the next 4 years. Assuming comparable financial aid packages at both schools. I'm not sure what kind of medicine/specialty I'll want to go into, but am currently leaning towards academic medicine.

Cornell: Loved my interview day and revisit (both the school and students), and was (am) very excited about attending. I can definitely see myself there for the next 4 years. My SO and family are both in NYC, which has been and remains a major consideration in my school choice. I am planning on doing my residency and eventually practicing in NYC. If I end up in Boston, I will be traveling a lot between NYC and Boston, probably at least 2-3 times a month (which I have done and am not a huge fan of, despite the two cities being relatively close). Although not "Harvard-tier", still a very solid, reputable school and institution.

Harvard: It's Harvard. The opportunities there are unparalleled and without a doubt will open many, many doors. Unfortunately did not attend revisit, so I don't have a good feel for what the community and students are like. Not convinced the name and reputation are worth having my support systems farther away. It also seems like Harvard has a leg-up in terms of international recognition, but I don't foresee myself doing global health. The Harvard name and connections also seems to give students an advantage in matching to Harvard-affiliated residency programs/hospitals, but again, not sure if I want to pursue residency in Boston.

Any advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Cornell. You know you love it, it sounds more convenient for your purposes, it's still an amazing institution with connections all over the country/world, and it's cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you want to do residency in NYC / live in NYC - Cornell is perfect for you. I know Harvard is, well, Harvard, but Cornell seems to be an exquisite fit for you

I wish you well !

Hey there! I've been having a similar dilemma with 2 schools (Mayo and Brown). Brown is closer to home, my family, and my SO, but Mayo is the better place in regards to the whole medical aspect of medical school. I posted a thread on SDN too, and after considering everything everyone said, I came to the conclusion that Mayo was probably the better place to become a doctor, even if it meant sacrificing the closeness to my family and SO.

It seems like being close to your family and SO is a very huge variable in deciding where to go, but I recommend trying to take that aspect out of your head for a little and seeing what decision you would make. I had a very hard time doing this, but I found more clarity when I was able to separate the two. I think you may regret not going to Harvard if you choose Cornell. Cornell is a great school, don't get me wrong, but Harvard will give you so many connections and opportunities that you will truly be set for the remainder of your life as a physician. You can easily match anywhere in NYC from Harvard, so that is not an issue.

Best of luck in making your decision! Either way, you can't really go wrong. I would personally go with Harvard though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! I've been having a similar dilemma with 2 schools (Mayo and Brown). Brown is closer to home, my family, and my SO, but Mayo is the better place in regards to the whole medical aspect of medical school. I posted a thread on SDN too, and after considering everything everyone said, I came to the conclusion that Mayo was probably the better place to become a doctor, even if it meant sacrificing the closeness to my family and SO.

It seems like being close to your family and SO is a very huge variable in deciding where to go, but I recommend trying to take that aspect out of your head for a little and seeing what decision you would make. I had a very hard time doing this, but I found more clarity when I was able to separate the two. I think you may regret not going to Harvard if you choose Cornell. Cornell is a great school, don't get me wrong, but Harvard will give you so many connections and opportunities that you will truly be set for the remainder of your life as a physician. You can easily match anywhere in NYC from Harvard, so that is not an issue.

Best of luck in making your decision! Either way, you can't really go wrong. I would personally go with Harvard though.

The difference between Cornell and Harvard (especially with respect to OP's goals) is not as large as the gap between your scenario

Reactions: 1 user
Imo, Harvard because of academic med interests and only being a few hours away. If it was Cornell vs Stanford or something like that, then Cornell, but this is very close by.

Reactions: 1 users
Harvard will give you the best shot at matching to Harvard/JHU/UCSF/top X academic residency. It has the prestige edge hands down and this matters a lot for top tier academic medicine.

But, Cornell is solidly Top20 and prestigious (not Harvard level) in its own right. No door will be closed to you by going to Cornell and if you know you want to end up in NYC, Cornell is an incredible place to be. You'll likely have your pickings of top tier NYC residencies (which you'd also have at Harvard).

If I end up in Boston, I will be traveling a lot between NYC and Boston, probably at least 2-3 times a month (which I have done and am not a huge fan of, despite the two cities being relatively close). Although not "Harvard-tier", still a very solid, reputable school and institution.

Harvard opens up more doors and if you're gunning for academic medicine, spending 4-5 years slightly farther away from your SO/family might be worth it in the long run. Boston is only a few hours from NYC. But, it's still far enough that there is no way you will be able to go home 2-3 times/month to visit your SO/family in NYC if you choose Harvard. Medical school is hard and there is more to life than medicine. Valuing your happiness and relationships is not silly, especially when you have as incredible an option as Cornell. Only you can say if your personal life is worth sacrificing the slight dip in prestige.

i know a doc who went to cornell med school, harvard residency, and then hopkins fellowship (some combo of the three). smart dude. gets triple name recognition.

I say Cornell. Just based on your post, I felt your passion was more towards Cornell. Yeah, Harvard is harvard. But you know what? Its really what you do in medical school that counts... not where you go. Good luck, let us know where you choose to go!

Hi all,

I have been fortunate enough to get accepted off the waitlist at Harvard after committing to Weill Cornell, and am now having a very, very difficult time deciding where I want to spend the next 4 years. Assuming comparable financial aid packages at both schools. I'm not sure what kind of medicine/specialty I'll want to go into, but am currently leaning towards academic medicine.

Cornell: Loved my interview day and revisit (both the school and students), and was (am) very excited about attending. I can definitely see myself there for the next 4 years. My SO and family are both in NYC, which has been and remains a major consideration in my school choice. I am planning on doing my residency and eventually practicing in NYC. If I end up in Boston, I will be traveling a lot between NYC and Boston, probably at least 2-3 times a month (which I have done and am not a huge fan of, despite the two cities being relatively close). Although not "Harvard-tier", still a very solid, reputable school and institution.

Harvard: It's Harvard. The opportunities there are unparalleled and without a doubt will open many, many doors. Unfortunately did not attend revisit, so I don't have a good feel for what the community and students are like. Not convinced the name and reputation are worth having my support systems farther away. It also seems like Harvard has a leg-up in terms of international recognition, but I don't foresee myself doing global health. The Harvard name and connections also seems to give students an advantage in matching to Harvard-affiliated residency programs/hospitals, but again, not sure if I want to pursue residency in Boston.

Any advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Do you mind if I ask what your ECs were? It's amazing that you got into both schools. I'd be happy to PM you if you'd feel more comfortable.

Boston is only a few hours from NYC. But, it's still far enough that there is no way you will be able to go home 2-3 times/month to visit your SO/family in NYC if you choose Harvard. Medical school is hard and there is more to life than medicine. Valuing your happiness and relationships is not silly, especially when you have as incredible an option as Cornell. Only you can say if your personal life is worth sacrificing the slight dip in prestige.

I think this is incredibly important. Traveling 2-3 times per month from Boston -> NYC is NOT worth it to go to Harvard for the slight prestige bump over Cornell. Especially bc the OP's career goals will easily be fulfillable by going to Cornell. I agree Harvard may have "more opportunities" than Cornell BUT don't discount HSS/MSK as well as the fact that I doubt there's much OP would want to do that could only be done at Harvard and not Cornell.

Even though I'm WL at Cornell I still strongly think OP should go there.

Traveling 2-3 times per month from Boston -> NYC is NOT worth it to go to Harvard for the slight prestige bump over Cornell ... I doubt there's much OP would want to do that could only be done at Harvard and not Cornell.
The big thing is matching to the Harvard residency system I think, rather than the overall "prestige bump". For someone interested in an academic career, that huge inside advantage to MGH/B&W should give a very long pause before turning down. If OP had dreams of matching to the major academic centers elsewhere, like say if he was Californian originally and wanted to match back over there, then I'd agree that the name difference is not worth the 3 hour drives.

The big thing is matching to the Harvard residency system I think, rather than the overall "prestige bump". For someone interested in an academic career, that huge inside advantage to MGH/B&W should give a very long pause before turning down. If OP had dreams of matching to the major academic centers elsewhere, like say if he was Californian originally and wanted to match back over there, then I'd agree that the name difference is not worth the 3 hour drives.

I completely agree with you BUT OP explicitly states that they want to do residency in NYC, for personal reasons. That was a major factor that led to my suggestion.

My SO and family are both in NYC, which has been and remains a major consideration in my school choice. I am planning on doing my residency and eventually practicing in NYC.

Agree, but OP says NYC is the goal and if they are sure about that, I don't think HMS actually gives OP an advantage. Cornell's name probably carries the most weight in NYC and matching to any of the top NYC residencies will not be a problem. Being unhappy in your personal life if your plan is HMS-->NYC residency doesn't seem worth it.

It's probably worth considering how "sure" OP really is about NYC being endgame. Plans change and medical school broadens your perspective. You might realized 2-3 years in that Harvard residencies are a nice goal and be thankful you went with HMS. Then again, most native NYers I know are the NY4lyfe types.

Also, what sort of black magic are you doing to get from Boston to NYC is 3 hours?

Reactions: 2 users
There's a special portal hidden in the city. Where do you think all the dead pigeons go?

Which reminds me, there's no subway rats in Boston. Significant downside imo. Nothing to brighten up your commute.

Which reminds me, there's no subway rats in Boston. Significant downside imo. Nothing to brighten up your commute.

this morning I saw one that was honestly almost the size of my forearm and I wasn't even mad, I was amazed

this morning I saw one that was honestly almost the size of my forearm and I wasn't even mad, I was amazed
Oh, that was Rodger. He's a character that one. Careful though, he cheated me out of a diamond ring at a carnaval.

@Me running down the subway platform to snap him. NY changes you. After a few weeks you hardly even realize the stuff you would've stared at in disbelief.

This thread has taken a hilarious turn lol. I personally would pick Harvard cause, well, it's Harvard. Ranking definitely doesn't always matter but it's Harvard. Having said that, if being in NYC is a priority (personally, relationship, etc), pick Cornell. I don't think you want to go to Harvard and constantly be leaving to go to NYC (also don't really think that would be an option given the workload) and Cornell will provide a great education/launch point for your career as well.