Cornell vs. Vanderbilt?

BubbleTeabot

Reaction score
Dear Friends,

I got accepted to both schools, and I'd like some thoughts on the title, and if possible, some thoughts on my perspective listed below. I'll list some categories for my criteria and my thoughts on them.

Academic Environment:
  • Cornell and Vanderbilt both seem to be grade-deflating schools from what I generally see on SDN and reddit (although, to be fair, I don't know if one deflates more than the other).

• Vanderbilt has an infamous liberal arts requirement to fulfill named "AXLE." This may mean Cornell may be much better in terms of getting major-unrelated courses out of the way and focusing on my sGPA, especially since it seems that more of my AP Credits seem to be accepted. [Vanderbilt's Policy on AP Credits]

• Cornell's college/major I got accepted to (Human Ecology--as a Human Biology, Health & Society major) is somewhat geared towards pre-health & has a lot of courses that mix bio, health, and soc (I think it might be interesting, but frankly 20+ credits of extra studies sounds also somewhat draining).

• After quickly looking through transfer credit policy (I have transfer credit in an Economics sequence and some history classes) it seems that maybe Cornell's HE is more accepting of them...? Although I don't really know if that's for first-year students or actual transfer students. I've also noted that the classes I take has "[n]o equivalency" according to Bilt's "YES" equivalency chart [YES]. Verdict being that HE is probably easier to fulfill requirements to graduate and focus on sGPA.

Personal Appeals:

• I like warmer weather, and Nashville has nicer weather (or so it seems?)

• Ithaca has more beautiful scenery than Nashville (but there are still some at Nashville)

• Bilt is smaller and seems more close knit

Practicality:

• I think I'd like to be a family doctor but then again... I'm young, spontaneous, and probably will be even changing my major many times in the course of the next four years. I thought, then, I should think about practical aspects of my degree at both colleges -- although yes, undergraduate degrees generally do not pay well.

• Bilt's college I got accepted to, Arts & Sciences, means that I can probably change my major easily in that college from a wide breadth of options. Cornell's HE only allows me major switches such as Fiber Science, Nutrition, etc. -- which are not very broad in comparison to Bilt; if I want to switch to a major in Cornell's other colleges, it may be an uphill battle.

• Bilt costs $10,000 less than Cornell annually. Just on this alone makes me believe Vanderbilt is the better choice.

• Name recognition: I personally don't care about this aspect. But I know it would be naive to ignore it. Cornell does seem to have a marginally better name recognition. My parents seem to factor this aspect especially heavily, although I can't really blame them.

TLDR; similar academic environment, Bilt does seem to have a better personal appeal, practicality-wise Bilt is cheaper and arguably more safer (at least, for major switches) while Cornell has name recognition. Parents and I debate on the last bullet point. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you visited both schools? Have you talked to prehealth students at the schools regarding support among peers and administrators (prehealth advisors)? Both programs have solid prehealth infrastructure as far as I know. Cornell may be an Ivy, but Vanderbilt holds up as a Southern Ivy well (Duke, Emory, Vandy, in my opinion).

That said, Nashville has a "real airport" while Ithaca doesn't. If you love music and culture, Nashville has more options and more temptations (been to Broadway?). I would agree that the better financial aid package helps; the less debt going into medical school the better.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you visited both schools?
Not yet, hoping to schedule it soon.

Have you talked to prehealth students at the schools regarding support among peers and administrators (prehealth advisors)?
I haven't. I really should -- thanks for bringing this up! I just don't know where to start. I guess getting social media like Instagram would maybe be a good start in trying to connect with other prehealth students. Any specific recommendations in connecting with them?

Cornell may be an Ivy, but Vanderbilt holds up as a Southern Ivy well (Duke, Emory, Vandy, in my opinion).
Right. The name game imo is marginal. Hopefully I can convince my parents about that too.

That said, Nashville has a "real airport" while Ithaca doesn't.
That's... interesting? What do you mean by this? (Srry, a bit late to research rn)

I would agree that the better financial aid package helps; the less debt going into medical school the better.
Yep!

On the other hand, I'm glad to make sure here that there wasn't like a massive vendetta the SDN community had towards either of the two colleges I just wasn't aware of :D (or so I hope?). Anyway, I'm feeling the neuroticism, and thought it'd maybe be a good idea to type it all out. Thanks for helping me out!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that Vandy profits with grade inflation and that Cornell deflates grades from friends. That being said, go wherever you'd be happier.

I've heard that Vandy profits with grade inflation and that Cornell deflates grades from friends. That being said, go wherever you'd be happier.
mhm ya, after talking a bit w/ current students from both colleges they seem to deny that there's much -- and ya, Vanderbilt students did say that there may even be some grade inflation. Apparently (although not really related to this tangent) the Calc I and II courses are hell on earth at Vanderbilt, which is interesting -- current students even go as far to say to go straight to multivariable calculus and there are some who have even taken it at other colleges to avoid it altogether

That being said, go wherever you'd be happier
Definitely. I'm stuck on this idea though. I'm scared that maybe I'll make a mistake that'll not only cost me my future but also that of my family (who may have to pay more if I matriculate to Cornell, but also generally will have to pay a decent chunk to support me); and I'm also confused on whether I'll truly be happy at this one place or another, and really can't decide (especially since I looked at plane costs and visiting seems out of the question).

Hopefully I can answer some of my questions through just more research and talking with current students. This neuroticism (although I know it is common in this stage of life) feels like it's eating me up!