almost done

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2005
Status
Any thoughts? Again, besides the geography.

My feeling is that Yale is a bit warmer (culture, not temperature), and slightly more balanced of a program. While Cornell is more formal, and not as strong in the neurosciences. But I have little basis on which to develop those opinions. What are other people's thoughts?

(Again, the location of each place notwithstanding)

prominence

15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
i would choose yale, b/c it is a stronger program, all around.

aiwa

10+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2005
Status
I disagree with prominence. Both programs are among the strongest in the country but I think Cornell has a consistently better reputation. Plus, the residents are a friendly, intelligent, cohesive group who seem like they would be great to work with. Maybe the faculty aren't as accessible as they are at Yale (that's the reputation at least) but I think cornell would be an amazing place to train. They are actually very strong in neuroscience/imaging research and training but just don't advertise it very well. There is certainly a more "analytic" or "psychodynamic" feel at Cornell than there is at Yale, but some people would consider that a plus.

You definitely have a difficult decision, but both are amazing programs and you can't go wrong with either. Are you sure New Haven vs NY isn't an important enough factor to sway the decision?

tomato

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
The programs are quite different, so sweeping statements without any support can be tricky. Still, I am surprised to hear someone say that Yale is a stronger program. That's the first time I've ever heard anybody say that.

CORNELL

Pros include the faculty, who are top notch teachers, many of them are there primarily for teaching (as research takes a back seat), the dual Manhattan and Westchester units; the residents who are extremely bright and probably a stronger group than Yale (my opinion only). Manhattan location. Great fellowships in child, geri and a few others. Cornell has a much stronger reputation in terms of psychodynamics, though Yale does have the Western New England analytical institute. Research does exist at Cornell, and residents to have access. Cons (with respect to Yale) include no VA population, PD is only part time (can anyone corroborate?), population is not quite as diverse as Yale's.

YALE

Pros include multiple training sites including VA, very affable and full-time PD, and most likely better exposure to research opportunities than Cornell, especially early on. Apparently very strong in forensics and child. Cons include residents (who were relatively weaker than Cornell's, again my impressions only, and that's based only on the residents party before interviews and my interview day), and location. New Haven't not a bad place anymore, but, really, it can't compare to New York... that is, if New York is your thing.

Boofus4L

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
my vote is for yale. i agree with almost done about yale feeling MUCH "warmer" than cornell, from the PDs to the faculty to the residents. i would also agree that the environment at cornell seems much more formal, and less conducive to resident-faculty interaction than that at yale. cornell has got a HUGE psychoanalytic bent, which may be a plus to some, but which i found suffocating and one-sided... i found yale's program to be much more balanced. as far as fellowships are concerned, i think yale's child psych beats out cornell's, both clinically and in research, but i don't know much about other fellowships.

having said that, both are amazing programs, and i believe that you would get equally outstanding educations at either of them. i think the most important thing is to go with the program that gives you the warm-and-fuzzies... which residents could you see yourself hanging out with? in which environment do you feel that you would be happiest and most productive?