Cornell!! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mereafterthough

Cornell DVM c/o 2014!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cornell is my number one choice for vet school so I figured it's time to make a thread for us Cornell enthusiasts. I went to Cornell for undergrad (Class of '09) and am a NYS resident so that explains my fervor for this school. Who else wants to go to this vet school as much as I do? What's your story? Have you started the supp application yet? :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd love to go to cornell for their duel degree program, but my chances of getting in will probably be slim to none. I'm going to try though!

I'm applying to the DVM/PhD program this year. I am petrified and am thoroughly convinced that I have no chance and am just wasting a bunch of money and time.

All I have left to do on the supplemental app are the essays. They started tracking in my transcripts and GRE scores and I think when I saw that is sort of when it hit me that I am actually going to apply there. :scared:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
wow I just saw the Cornell tracking thanks to you!
crazy! So far this application process has been kind of happening but not happening if you know what I mean..but there are all my transcripts sitting in Cornells hands. I guess this means I'm really going through with it all.

wow.

so yeah, I am obviously also applying to Cornell. I'm not sure of how I'd rank them in my list of schools. I kind of got a negative vibe when I went to look at the school last fall and I've had a hard time shaking it since then. I want to really love the school, but I dunno. so far I guess I'm kinda confused about it. there are things I like and things I don't like but most of all I guess I feel like I just dont know enough about the school to make that decision yet. I kind of feel that way with most of the schools I'm applying to right now. is that bad?

Nope! I can't afford to visit most of the schools in advance of applying (and it's a little on the late side now), so I'm applying to places that sound like they'll be a decent fit for me and in areas where I could see myself living for 4 years (you have to narrow the field somehow!), and I figure I'll wait until I start getting rejected er I mean interviews and then figure out when and where to visit.

I just recently decided to add Cornell to my list of schools to apply to. I'm not entirely sure what made me change. I had discounted them because of the evaluation letter requirement, but I'm going to go for it. I do not have eval letters for all of my experiences, but I've covered my major experiences with my main three letters, and I have one more who will write a letter for Cornell. I guess I am a bit worried that I don't have eval letters for any of my SA experience, since my SA volunteer experience was 5 years ago and I'm not sure who would write a letter for my freelance pet-sitting. Maybe I'll start a new thread about that.

As for where it is on my list, I'm honestly not sure, because I keep going back and forth on the money/loans issue.

It was just really weird, I went there for an open house sort of thing and people were just kind of ... well, a little rude and very unprepared. It started with a security guard as I was trying to find where to park and continued with some of the students kind of giving (what seemed to me and my fiance) me attitude to some of my questions. It was kind of strange.
so yeah, it just kind of gave the school a negative vibe to me. I know people can have bad days and maybe the security guard was sick of people asking him where to park and maybe the student giving the tour of the vet school was just having an off day or whatever, so I'm trying not to put too much emphasis on it, but it did kind of leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm applying to Cornell! I have never visited, but a girl I work in the lab with did some research there ans he really liked it. One of the labs at Cornell does research that I would be VERY interested in taking part in, so Cornell is in my top 3. I have just started working through the supplemental, as I have just finished all the others that are due earlier. Good luck everyone!!

Is anyone else applying to the DVM/PhD dual degree?

I got an email from them at 10 pm eastern time today lol...

Last edited:
And here I had finally convinced myself that it was stupid to keep hitting refresh after business hours! Thanks a lot! :p

Do you know if they are going to put anything about admission status on the document tracking page?

Now that I've been rejected by Colorado I can now obsess over the school of my dreams, Cornell. We should be hearing from them the earliest next monday Jan 4th since that's when the adcoms come back from vacation or in two weeks. I was told by a vet student there that when they notify you, you get an email with a password and you use that password to go to a page that says Congrats or You suck, no. I'm praying to every god and goddess in the universe I get the former. No rejection can light a candle to this one if it happens. I don't know what I'd do with myself.

lol sorry to feed your insanity - trust me, I almost had a heart attack when I got home from campus at 7:15 pm PST and saw the subject line: Cornell University - DVM/PhD Degree Program Status

It seems like in past years they have sent links to a different status page via email when they were ready to notify of decisions.

Last edited:
lol sorry to feed your insanity - trust me, I almost had a heart attack when I got home from campus at 7:15 pm PST and saw the subject line: Cornell University - DVM/PhD Degree Program Status

It seems like in past years they have sent links to a different status page via email when they were ready to make decisions.

Where did you see that subject line?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to all the combined applicants this season. :luck: As for the rudeness, well it is NY afterall. Yes well, for that all I can say is: I remember from last year. Seriously, good luck peoples!

Where did you see that subject line?

In my email inbox. It's just an update on the progress of the application reviews for the dual degree and that they are currently narrowing down to 6-8 applicants and will conduct interviews in February. It only went out to DVM/PhD applicants, I'm sure.

Woohoo, go New York! I wouldn't expect anything less from my home state!

Smile I love it! :cool:

So Nyanko, they have still not decided yet? Last year I knew by Dec. 1. Hmm. I guess it helps to have mentors, but that is still not cool. I am sorry. :mad:

In my email inbox. It's just an update on the progress of the application reviews for the dual degree and that they are currently narrowing down to 6-8 applicants and will conduct interviews in February. It only went out to DVM/PhD applicants, I'm sure.

WOW! They've narrowed down to 6-8 applicants and you are one of them!? Good luck!!!!! That's so exciting!

WOW! They've narrowed down to 6-8 applicants and you are one of them!? Good luck!!!!! That's so exciting!

No no, I don't think that's the case! I think they sent it out to everyone who applied to the combined program? I'm trying not to read anything into the email, that's why I was trying not to post too much about it here. I really doubt that Cornell is seriously considering my application. :p

Kai, it says they're interviewing for the dual degree this year:

This year, we will be coordinating our interviews in conjunction with the Biological and Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program Interview/Recruitment Event, which features talks by high profile researchers and information sessions with graduate faculty and current students. You will interview among other highly qualified prospective graduate students and more importantly, learn of the many research opportunities that are available at Cornell.

Doing it a bit different, but I interviewed too. Sounds like the same thing though, the interview was more the grad program, and they "throw-in" the DVM to placate us. ;) At least that was how I felt it went. Good luck!

Doing it a bit different, but I interviewed too. Sounds like the same thing though, the interview was more the grad program, and they "throw-in" the DVM to placate us. ;) At least that was how I felt it went. Good luck!

I will be perfectly placated if I should be lucky enough to encounter this scenario. ;)

Just sayin...

Good to everyone who applied. Cornell is certainly on my possibilities list. I hadn't really considered an American school, until I saw Cornell. It's the nearest one to my home, and I love the idea of the dual DVM/PhD program. It's on my "if I graduate before I get into AVC" list. :)

I applied to Cornell. My best friend goes there. I love the area and the school. When should we hear from them? First week of January? I'm so nervous.

How many of you think we'll hear from Cornell tomorrow?

If we were to hear, where do you hear? Email? Is there a status page in addition to the application tracking page that we get? Do you get a letter in the mail that has a pop-up saying "Yay!" or "No way!" with confetti that scatters everywhere?

*hits refresh button*

If we were to hear, where do you hear? Email? Is there a status page in addition to the application tracking page that we get? Do you get a letter in the mail that has a pop-up saying "Yay!" or "No way!" with confetti that scatters everywhere?

*hits refresh button*

Either messenger pigeon or singing telegram.

Because I'm crazy I called and the rep said we wont hear until late Jan (damn)

Really?! Late Jan?! This is so annoying! I've been accepted elsewhere, but Cornell is my IS and would be way cheaper, BUT if I want to go there I have to take a class (microbio) spring semester and I REALLY don't want to! I was hoping I would hear soon, before the class started! Argh!

I'd love to hear back from Cornell, like, now. It's my IS school and my top choice. I'm so anxious its driving me bananas!

Really?! Late Jan?! This is so annoying! I've been accepted elsewhere, but Cornell is my IS and would be way cheaper, BUT if I want to go there I have to take a class (microbio) spring semester and I REALLY don't want to! I was hoping I would hear soon, before the class started! Argh!

I hear ya absvet! I have an acceptance at Tufts and a Upenn interview next week (which im super grateful for), but since Cornell is also my IS, the money factor comes into play. Guess a few more weeks wont kill me...?

I wouldn't give up on this week just yet! I also had to ask a few questions and they seem to be trying hard for earlier this month. Do you think they'll let news trickle out, or do they tend to notify all at once?

I wouldn't give up on this week just yet! I also had to ask a few questions and they seem to be trying hard for earlier this month. Do you think they'll let news trickle out, or do they tend to notify all at once?

Did you call them and they told you this?

Also I agree with the money factor. I've received NO acceptances and CU is my IS so I'm really banking on this one.

I sympathize. I have to take a frakkin' freshman-level communications course for Iowa, and I had to drop an epidemiology course to fit it in (my school won't let you register for more than 16 credits ahead of time). I have an interview there at the end of the month, but I won't find out until mid-February whether I'm in, so I'm stuck in this stupid course and may not have time to take the epi course too (since I'm also starting a new job and keeping my old job and trying to ride my horse).

Someone on another thread likened students and vet schools to a bad relationship, which is eerily accurate. ;):rolleyes:

It's true. I mean you WANT to go be with someone else (like, you know, a personal life and being sane), but you just can't tear yourself away.

Somehow this also seems to parallel drug problems too. Hm.

I think it's along the lines of "They keep rejecting me, but that's OK, I know they really love me under all of it, and I love them. They're really good people, despite the abuse."

Cornell is my number one choice for vet school so I figured it's time to make a thread for us Cornell enthusiasts. I went to Cornell for undergrad (Class of '09) and am a NYS resident so that explains my fervor for this school. Who else wants to go to this vet school as much as I do? What's your story? Have you started the supp application yet? :)

The animal hospital I work for has a board-certified surgeon who is quite well known for her research in surgical outcomes and patient comfort related to anesthesia. She graduated from Cornell and is a top-class vet. Really a wonderful woman.

If most Cornell VetMed graduates are anything like her, it has offer the best veterinary education on the planet.

this wait is going to drive me crazy. my friend last year found out on the 6th. I hope it's soon because I'm going bonkers.

Do we know if it's phone call or email?

Last year I got an e-mail with a code/PIN number. There was a link in the e-mail and you had to go to that site and enter your number and a letter popped up. Mine was, unfortunately, a rejection letter but I believe they e-mail everyone around the same time and they can check the link. I got mine early/mid January last year. Hopefully I get a better letter this time:D

this wait is going to drive me crazy. my friend last year found out on the 6th. I hope it's soon because I'm going bonkers.

Do we know if it's phone call or email?

OMG I know! I keep hearing all these stories about people who got a call on Jan 1st. But that's got to be bull**** because who works on New Year's Day? Anyway, I would LOVE to get a call or email or whatever before I fly across the country for other interviews. Wouldn't it be wonderful to just say "F you" to all the other schools because Cornell wants me!

OMG I know! I keep hearing all these stories about people who got a call on Jan 1st. But that's got to be bull**** because who works on New Year's Day? Anyway, I would LOVE to get a call or email or whatever before I fly across the country for other interviews. Wouldn't it be wonderful to just say "F you" to all the other schools because Cornell wants me!

I dont know about your flights, but I think mine are pretty much nonrefundable...I know my hotel res is nonrefundable, because that was how I got the lowest rate available, by locking in. So even if I did get in, I'd probably still go on the interviews...it can't possibly be colder than it is here, so I'll think of it as a vacay!