Corporate Optometry Careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beansmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year student in Optometry School about to begin my second year. I have began thinking about where and what mode of practice I want to do when I graduate. I hear so many bad things about corporate optometry, but what I want to know ( preferably from people who have done it). Is it really that bad, and what are the pros and cons?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a first year student in Optometry School about to begin my second year. I have began thinking about where and what mode of practice I want to do when I graduate. I hear so many bad things about corporate optometry, but what I want to know ( preferably from people who have done it). Is it really that bad, and what are the pros and cons?

yes, although there some exceptions

pros
easier to find a job out of school

cons
the cons are too many to list and range from things like job satisfaction or pay ceiling to ethical conflicts and job security.

You should make every effort to stay away from corporate, but everybody has to pay the bills. Been there, done that

I've worked in 2 corporate settings and in a hospital foundation. I've never worked in private practice. The exams you do in any modality will be the same. For me, the only difference is the staff you work with and the patient base: everyone in the hospital is educated and I see far less tattoos.

First corporate job - uneducated employees, a majority of my patients were unemployed or incredibly impoverished who carried their socioeconomic woes into the office. A lot of disease (but sadly a lot of people not getting the proper healthcare they need). I used to have a lot of single moms bringing in 5 babies, elderly patients who really let themselves go, and coked-out slimebags. Management was useless and only cared about money

Second corporate job - employees were educated, a majority of my patients were college students. Management was supportive and cared about patient satisfaction as a way to build their business.

Hospital - employees were incredibly educated, a majority of my patients are geriatrics who have more diseases (but fortunately getting incredible healthcare). It's also nice to be in a team of doctors and have OMD down the hall.

But really I do the same exam I can in any environment. I like the hospital and I liked my second corporate job a lot. Some corporations are good and some are bad. Some private practices are good and some are bad. Some hospitals are good (mine was ranked A+) and some are bad (neighboring city ranked D).

Just do your homework before signing a contract to make sure you don't fall into a trap.

I've worked in 2 corporate settings and in a hospital foundation. I've never worked in private practice. The exams you do in any modality will be the same. For me, the only difference is the staff you work with and the patient base: everyone in the hospital is educated and I see far less tattoos.

First corporate job - uneducated employees, a majority of my patients were unemployed or incredibly impoverished who carried their socioeconomic woes into the office. A lot of disease (but sadly a lot of people not getting the proper healthcare they need). I used to have a lot of single moms bringing in 5 babies, elderly patients who really let themselves go, and coked-out slimebags. Management was useless and only cared about money

Second corporate job - employees were educated, a majority of my patients were college students. Management was supportive and cared about patient satisfaction as a way to build their business.

Hospital - employees were incredibly educated, a majority of my patients are geriatrics who have more diseases (but fortunately getting incredible healthcare). It's also nice to be in a team of doctors and have OMD down the hall.

But really I do the same exam I can in any environment. I like the hospital and I liked my second corporate job a lot. Some corporations are good and some are bad. Some private practices are good and some are bad. Some hospitals are good (mine was ranked A+) and some are bad (neighboring city ranked D).

Just do your homework before signing a contract to make sure you don't fall into a trap.

Thank you so much, that really helps! I guess everywhere will have its pros and cons, my goal is to start spending time in each of these different types of settings to see which will be the best option for me. I will see that I prefer fast pace and always being on my feet. I am spending some time at Gulf Coast Optometry ( Corporate) over the summer so that will help. Thank you for all of your input!