icebreakers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2002
Status (Visible)
My cousin works for a big investment firm in NYC and he's explained to me that his company pays for and encourages regular psychiatrist visits for their employees. I found this pretty fascinating.

I was wondering what type of setup this would be and how would you go about getting that type of job. I imagine it would be pretty lucrative and also, you would have the freedom to practice the way you like, and be really creative.

anyone have any more information on this, and other thoughts? is there a label for this type of practicing? anyone know any psychiatrists who practice like this and....what's it like? are they happy?

Kluver Bucy

Gold Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
My cousin works for a big investment firm in NYC and he's explained to me that his company pays for and encourages regular psychiatrist visits for their employees.
Like most people, your cousin is probably confusing psychiatrists with psychologists or other types of therapists.

icebreakers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2002
Status (Visible)
fortunately for my cousin, he has been educated on this difference, by his psychologist wife.

The job description that I gave is for a psychiatrist, I would love to learn more about opportunities like this one....

About the Ads

gardilimo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
i know that big companies hire their own internal medicine docs so that their employees dont have to waste time going to doc appt's during the work day so it would not be too surprising if they had mental health professionals too.
you are salaried tho and i dont think it is THAT lucrative, just better with lifestyle (aka 9-5 or something like that...)

RustNeverSleeps

Walker, Texas Ranger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i know that big companies hire their own internal medicine docs so that their employees dont have to waste time going to doc appt's during the work day so it would not be too surprising if they had mental health professionals too.
you are salaried tho and i dont think it is THAT lucrative, just better with lifestyle (aka 9-5 or something like that...)

I can't imagine that is very common, though. A lot of big companies that used to have in-house physicians are minimizing or eliminating the medical program (or have already), because it is a relatively expensive benefit that they don't want to provide.

DrIng

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Plus the other issue is that psychiatrists would be more aware of the potentially very messy dynamics of this kind of situation...

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.