corporate psychiatrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icebreakers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cousin works for a big investment firm in NYC and he's explained to me that his company pays for and encourages regular psychiatrist visits for their employees. I found this pretty fascinating.

I was wondering what type of setup this would be and how would you go about getting that type of job. I imagine it would be pretty lucrative and also, you would have the freedom to practice the way you like, and be really creative.

anyone have any more information on this, and other thoughts? is there a label for this type of practicing? anyone know any psychiatrists who practice like this and....what's it like? are they happy?

Members don't see this ad.

My cousin works for a big investment firm in NYC and he's explained to me that his company pays for and encourages regular psychiatrist visits for their employees.
Like most people, your cousin is probably confusing psychiatrists with psychologists or other types of therapists.

fortunately for my cousin, he has been educated on this difference, by his psychologist wife.

The job description that I gave is for a psychiatrist, I would love to learn more about opportunities like this one....

Members don't see this ad :)
OH...i should add that this is a company-hired psychiatrst

i know that big companies hire their own internal medicine docs so that their employees dont have to waste time going to doc appt's during the work day so it would not be too surprising if they had mental health professionals too.
you are salaried tho and i dont think it is THAT lucrative, just better with lifestyle (aka 9-5 or something like that...)

i know that big companies hire their own internal medicine docs so that their employees dont have to waste time going to doc appt's during the work day so it would not be too surprising if they had mental health professionals too.
you are salaried tho and i dont think it is THAT lucrative, just better with lifestyle (aka 9-5 or something like that...)

I can't imagine that is very common, though. A lot of big companies that used to have in-house physicians are minimizing or eliminating the medical program (or have already), because it is a relatively expensive benefit that they don't want to provide.

you are salaried tho and i dont think it is THAT lucrative
But at the investment firm, you'd make up for it with stock tips learned about in therapy sessions.

Plus the other issue is that psychiatrists would be more aware of the potentially very messy dynamics of this kind of situation...