Corporate sponsors for MD/MBA Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SanDiegoSOD

Milk was a bad choice
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a question stemming from pure curiosity, but are there any corporate scholarships that fund or otherwise promote joint MD/MBA programs? I was browsing through md-mba.org and found the program offered by UC Davis that offers full scholarships for the full six-year joint degree program, and I wondered if anyone new of similar programs. Thanks in advance.
 
You can also apply to work for a company while in medical school. If hired, most of them will pay your MBA. The bad side to that is that they will usually make you work for them at a salary significantly lower than your market value.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Aucdoctobe said:
You can also apply to work for a company while in medical school. If hired, most of them will pay your MBA. The bad side to that is that they will usually make you work for them at a salary significantly lower than your market value.

have you actually seen a company do this? I would think a company would steer away from a medical student.
 
No, I haven't actually seen a company do it for the MD. I don't have an MD, so I really can't test this out.

However, I have seen companies do this for the MBA and JD.

The insurance company that I worked for used to do it, provided that a person sign a loyalty contract.
 
Aucdoctobe said:
No, I haven't actually seen a company do it for the MD. I don't have an MD, so I really can't test this out.

However, I have seen companies do this for the MBA and JD.

The insurance company that I worked for used to do it, provided that a person sign a loyalty contract.


The MBA & JD I could see, not the MD...too much time and you get too little for it, especially if you don't do a residency.
 
mward04 said:
The MBA & JD I could see, not the MD...too much time and you get too little for it, especially if you don't do a residency.


That could very well be true. Truthfully, I haven't had an opportunity to test your assumption.