Correlation between the college one attends and MCAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Odysseus

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
na

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Odysseus said:
Is there a correlation between the college one attends and score acheived on the MCAT's? If so, to what would you ascribe the difference?

If possible, can you identify the college/state in which you attend college and your MCAT score?

No, there really isn't.

Odysseus said:
Is there a correlation between the college one attends and score acheived on the MCAT's? If so, to what would you ascribe the difference?

If possible, can you identify the college/state in which you attend college and your MCAT score?

There is indeed a strong correlation between college attended and MCAT score. The college its self can not force you to do poorly or very well, but as you may know, some schools house a more gifted student body than others.

Members don't see this ad :)
SDN is not the best place to conduct this survey. Your range would be truncated since most people here have exceptional MCAT scores.

MercyKillerDoc said:
There is indeed a strong correlation between college attended and MCAT score. The college its self can not force you to do poorly or very well, but as you may know, some schools house a more gifted student body than others.

This is the answer. I don't think Harvard or Duke teach you to do better on the MCAT than noname state U, but I guarantee the average MCAT at those top schools is much higher than at noname state. It's all about the students at the different schools.

most likely, your ability to do well on the mcat depends on your individual test-taking abilities and has little to do with the undergraduate school you attended. sure, more prestigious schools have smarter students who consequently do better on the mcat, but that doesn't mean a smart student at a less prestigious school couldn't do equally as well. so, in sum, your mcat score depends on you, not on your school.

MercyKillerDoc said:

My starting hypothesis would be that there would be a correlation. Colleges pre-screen for standardized test taking ability (SAT/ACT) and work ethic to some extent (HS GPA). Then the more prestigious school's pre-req classes might be better preparation.

95%+ of the MCAT is based on you, the test taker, but the school has already selected for the things that are likely to help you make a higher score.

Wahina said:
This is the answer. I don't think Harvard or Duke teach you to do better on the MCAT than noname state U, but I guarantee the average MCAT at those top schools is much higher than at noname state. It's all about the students at the different schools.

Avg. MCAT from Duke premed 2003: (10.2V) (10.9B) (10.9P). Do I think that Duke teaches the material really well? Hell no, but if you make it to senior year as a premed then you are used to the critical thinking necessary for doing well on the mcat.

MoosePilot said:
My starting hypothesis would be that there would be a correlation. Colleges pre-screen for standardized test taking ability (SAT/ACT) and work ethic to some extent (HS GPA). Then the more prestigious school's pre-req classes might be better preparation.

SAT: scores of Mid 50% Enrolled Freshman: (V640-740) (M660-760). So yea, I would say that the students are already good at standardized tests.

Do a search on MDApplicants.com with an Ivy premed and see how many scores ull get that are under 30.

fi0ri said:
Do a search on MDApplicants.com with an Ivy premed and see how many scores ull get that are under 30.

Yea, then do a search for MCAT scores <28 & GPA> 3.7 and take a look at the schools. Flip it around; do a search for MCATs >35 and GPA < 3.4.

I'm from a fairly low ranked school and of the people I know who have taken the test there's been a 35, a 38 and a 29. And of course I'm going to get a 45:) So I'd say there's not that much of a correlation, though there are bound to be a few more hard core studiers at some of those top name schools.

I think there is a correlation...to an extent. I KNOW some of the top small privates (i.e. Amherst, Swarthmore, Grinnell and Carleton) have a majority of thier students score extremely well. These are tough small schools where you recieve a very broad education and really develop good critical thinking skills you can apply to the stuff seen on the MCATs. I am not convinced some of the "brand-names" offer as good of an education, simply because these schools do not specialize in providing an undergraduate education, and thus faculty members have other priorities. This isn't to say you can't get a good education at a big school or to say you won't get into med school, but I think if you could figure out the per capita numbers on applicant success I think you might find that small schools send way more people to med school relative to big schools. Thus one would also assume these schools students are more successful on the MCAT. Just a thought on this issue...