Correlation between Uworld and shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueElmo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey are Uworld questions on par with shelf exams? I'm doing some world questions on ob/gyn and literally getting destroyed. And dismayed to see averages are so high. I was getting 60% which was 25th percentile. Is this similar to shelfs?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the pediatrics shelf questions were about the same difficulty as the UWorld questions or perhaps slightly easier. I'm sure it varies by shelf exam.

Hey are Uworld questions on par with shelf exams? I'm doing some world questions on ob/gyn and literally getting destroyed. And dismayed to see averages are so high. I was getting 60% which was 25th percentile. Is this similar to shelfs?

I don't know, but considering that most people doing UW are those who've completed all their clerkships and are actively studying for Step 2, I would expect their scores to be higher than someone who just started clerkships a month or so ago and is studying only for the shelf. I could be totally wrong though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know, but considering that most people doing UW are those who've completed all their clerkships and are actively studying for Step 2, I would expect their scores to be higher than someone who just started clerkships a month or so ago and is studying only for the shelf. I could be totally wrong though.

Oh that makes sense. I didn't think of that, haha, thanks!

I think it really depends; for Psych at least the U.World questions were a lot EASIER than the actual shelf exam

The best thing to do would be to start a thread where people post their uworld percentile and compare it to their shelf percentile. The problem of course would be that only the people that do well will post. But who knows, it might be helpful.

The best thing to do would be to start a thread where people post their uworld percentile and compare it to their shelf percentile. The problem of course would be that only the people that do well will post. But who knows, it might be helpful.

That's an excellent idea. Right now whenever I study for the shelfs I have no way to gauge how well I'm doing (not like on Step 1 where there were NBME practice exams and loads of data for UW correlations), and I feel like I'm walking into each shelf blind. Having a thread like that would definitely ease stress a bit.

I did about 71% UWorld OBGYN

got an 80 on that shelf

Though I did throw that exam (the more important IM shelf was later that afternoon... yes two shelves in one day... my school is wierd... dont ask)