Cortisol and neutrophils

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cameraGEEK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why does adrenal insufficiency (low cortisol) cause neutropenia? I would think low cortisol elevates neutrophils (loss of anti-inflammatory effect). Seen on page 500 of Goljan Rapid Review Pathology.

Members don't see this ad.

Someone correct me if im wrong but i seem to recall reading in RR only that while it causes neutropenia because it reduces the 'circulating' amount of neutrophils (more attached on peripheries), it does increase amounts of other wbcs: lymphocytosis.

Read RR over 6 months back so quite rusty on the recall.

Someone correct me if im wrong but i seem to recall reading in RR only that while it causes neutropenia because it reduces the 'circulating' amount of neutrophils (more attached on peripheries), it does increase amounts of other wbcs: lymphocytosis.

Read RR over 6 months back so quite rusty on the recall.

+1
I seem to remember the kaplan-pharm guy saying: cortisol causes leukocytosis, increased number of neutrophils because it downregulates integrins on the walls of blood vessels and neutrophils are free and not marginated, so the lack of cortisol would increase nr of integrins, increase neutrophil margination which would show as neutropenia on blood count.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1
I seem to remember the kaplan-pharm guy saying: cortisol causes leukocytosis, increased number of neutrophils because it downregulates integrins on the walls of blood vessels and neutrophils are free and not marginated, so the lack of cortisol would increase nr of integrins, increase neutrophil margination which would show as neutropenia on blood count.

nice!! thanks! :)

+1
Yup, this is correct. Also remember that hypoadrenalism often causes some eosinophilia as well.