Cosmetic Surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F

FlushBB

I know this is often frowned upon, but I REALLY want to practice cosmetic surgery. Reconstructive is cool, but at the end of the day I just rather deal with the cosmetic patient. Please don't burn me for this...

So, I'm currently a PGY1 cat gen surg resident and had accepted up to now that my plan of action would be 5 of Gen Surg followed by 2 of PRS. The other day an attending mentioned there are other routes of going into cosmetic surgery, without the traditional 5+2. Anyone know about this? I've heard about the 'cosmetic surgery' fellowship, but really know nothing about this. Is it legit? Does it require a full 5 of GS?

Basically I want to hear all you PRS peoples opinion on how I get from A to B ('A' being my GS residency and 'B' being a sterile office offering boob jobs botox and blephs). Is 5+2 the way to go or are there other REAL options?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You would be far better off doing a real plastic surgery fellowship. Reason being you have to be able to eat while you are building your exclusively cosmetic practice. If you have a certificate from a plastic and reconstructive surgery residency you will have an easier time getting privileges and you will be able to eat while you are building.

It'll be 5+3 by the time you're done with GS.

No, "Cosmetic Surgery" Fellowships from the American "Board" of Cosmetic Surgery are not legit. They are shady at best. Just look at their training requirements on their web page. Also, I am pretty sure all of the "great" plastic surgeons - Nahai, Baker, Mustoe, Hammond, etc.. did not go the shady path. True broad PRS training is necessary to be a solid cosmetic surgeon. Anyone can learn an endo brow, and anyone can do a crappy job and ding the nerve too. If you skimp on training your results will speak for themselves. Plus you'll get lit up in court if sued.