cosmetic surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endosmoke

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know of any programs on this planet that is english speaking and allows for cosmetic surgery training directly post med school without doing a plastics residency first or gen surg first?

ie. im basically wondering if there is such a thing on this planet that has a recognized purely cosmetic surgery training program?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope not.. sounds like an unsafe idea.

im surprised there isnt anywhere on this planet that has such a program...

that is tailored specific for ppl who are intersted in only cosmetic surgery..

im sure it wouldnt be too difficult to design a program like this by a group of professionals..

Members don't see this ad :)
I can think of a few reasons why no such program exists. Take this for what it is, as I'm just a 4th year med student.

From an education standpoint, management of any surgical patient requires training in pre- and post-operative management. Moreover, plastic surgery is a field based on knowledge of principles and techniques that must be practiced and applied. I don't see 1) where the volume would come from in a purely aesthetic surgery practice to learn and practice perioperative management or fundamental techniques in plastic surgery, or 2) who would allow a newly minted MD (aka med student + 1) to first assist or manage a cosmetic patient without any foundation of basic surgical skills.

From an economic perspective, why would any program want to crank out purely "cosmetic surgeons" (the data on which says most will not stay in academia, for any specialty) to compete for a patient base where there is already a great deal of competition?