Cost Difference between UC Davis and NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darrka

6.5+ Feet Tall Club
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Currently, I am attending a community college in Sacramento earning my prereqs. I will then go to UC Davis for another 2 years to finish my degree before I apply to Medical School.

I understand that I may end up not going to Medical School at either of these locations, but for the sake of the argument, let's say it is either one or the other.

UC Davis: The projected cost of Medical School is about 242k.
Since I live here:
-38k for housing.
-17k for food.
-11k for transportation.
-11k for personal.

This comes out to an estimated total of about $135k just for the school itself + any other costs needed to support myself. I would be living with my parents if I stayed in Sacramento. I'd have to own and maintain a car, car insurance, phone bill, etc.

My folks have offered to help me financially, and I have already stopped working and dedicated myself solely to school since May of 2012, when I quit working. Here's the thing: my parents are truckers, which means that for them to support my schooling + their household, they would have to drive a lot. Much more than I would like for them, considering that my mother is not very healthy (possible throat/lung cancer scare going on atm.) and I would not like to see themselves work themselves harder to support me when I can borrow the money.

Which means that the money I save by going to UC Davis is eventually offset by either me borrowing more money, or my parents supporting me.

The cost doesn't go away, and eventually, somewhere else, total cost is going to be pushed back over $200k.

Then when have NYU. Yes, it is more expensive. The estimated cost is $72k per semester, which puts me at about $320k, but here, room and board, personal costs, health insurance, and everything is included. So no "savings" that have to be picked up eventually. I won't need a car or car insurance, huge +.

At first glance I would obviously go to UC Davis, but, I WANT to go to NYU. Call me cliche, but I want to live in NYC. I want to practice there eventually, as well. But most of all, I just want a high rise apartment. Jk.

I plan on specializing, and am considering surgery (cardio or neuro if I can make it 0.o, or trauma. Also considering other surgical fields), anesthesiology, oncology, or radiology. Notice that most of these are more research-based, and from what I hear, NYU > Davis for research.

Not to mention, NYC > Sacramento. I could have more fun there for free than I could here with a $300k salary here.

So the questions for me:

How much of a difference am I looking at for my loan payment between the two schools? Will this difference really hurt me in the long run? I would like to think that after finishing my residency, I'm making enough that a $1,500 - $2,000 difference in loan payment doesn't kill my ability to live well in NYC after I'm done with my training.

Is there anything I am overlooking in my planning? Any hidden costs, expectations, etc.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated. I'm pursuing my career as a surgeon based on input from my friend who has admitted to UC Davis recently, and nothing else. I feel like I'm betting my life to be a doctor, but I'm walking blindly.

UC Davis costs : http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/medschool/financialaid/cost.html

NYU costs : http://school.med.nyu.edu/admissions/fees-and-financial-aid

I have looked at the other threads regarding these two schools, but I wanted to get more specific.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dude, uc davis medicine is in sacramento.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using SDN Mobile

Dude, uc davis medicine is in sacramento.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using SDN Mobile
Wow, it is. Thank you for pointing that out. Just goes to show how little I know about all this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. Currently, I am attending a community college in Sacramento earning my prereqs. I will then go to UC Davis for another 2 years to finish my degree before I apply to Medical School.

I understand that I may end up not going to Medical School at either of these locations, but for the sake of the argument, let's say it is either one or the other.

Since I live here:
-38k for housing.
-17k for food.
-11k for transportation.
-11k for personal.

This comes out to an estimated total of about $135k just for the school itself + any other costs needed to support myself. I would be living with my parents if I stayed in Sacramento, but Davis is a 40 minute commute one way, I'd have to own and maintain a car, car insurance, phone bill, etc.

My folks have offered to help me financially, and I have already stopped working and dedicated myself solely to school since May of 2012, when I quit working. Here's the thing: my parents are truckers, which means that for them to support my schooling + their household, they would have to drive a lot. Much more than I would like for them, considering that my mother is not very healthy (possible throat/lung cancer scare going on atm.) and I would not like to see themselves work themselves harder to support me when I can borrow the money.

Which means that the money I save by going to UC Davis is eventually offset by either me borrowing more money, or my parents supporting me.

The cost doesn't go away, and eventually, somewhere else, total cost is going to be pushed back over $200k.

Then when have NYU. Yes, it is more expensive. The estimated cost is $72k per semester, which puts me at about $320k, but here, room and board, personal costs, health insurance, and everything is included. So no "savings" that have to be picked up eventually. I won't need a car or car insurance, huge +.

At first glance I would obviously go to UC Davis, but, I WANT to go to NYU. Call me cliche, but I want to live in NYC. I want to practice there eventually, as well. But most of all, I just want a high rise apartment. Jk.

I plan on specializing, and am considering surgery (cardio or neuro if I can make it 0.o, or trauma. Also considering other surgical fields), anesthesiology, oncology, or radiology. Notice that most of these are more research-based, and from what I hear, NYU > Davis for research.

Not to mention, NYC > Sacramento. I could have more fun there for free than I could here with a $300k salary here.

So the questions for me:

How much of a difference am I looking at for my loan payment between the two schools? Will this difference really hurt me in the long run? I would like to think that after finishing my residency, I'm making enough that a $1,500 - $2,000 difference in loan payment doesn't kill my ability to live well in NYC after I'm done with my training.

Is there anything I am overlooking in my planning? Any hidden costs, expectations, etc.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated. I'm pursuing my career as a surgeon based on input from my friend who has admitted to UC Davis recently, and nothing else. I feel like I'm betting my life to be a doctor, but I'm walking blindly.

UC Davis costs : http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/medschool/financialaid/cost.html

NYU costs : http://school.med.nyu.edu/admissions/fees-and-financial-aid

I have looked at the other threads regarding these two schools, but I wanted to get more specific.

Thank you in advance.

It's going to completely depend on the financial aid packages you're offered. To be honest, it isn't really a meaningful question until you actually have that decision to make. What a school costs on paper is fairly meaningless in this game until you actually have your offer in.

It's going to completely depend on the financial aid packages you're offered. To be honest, it isn't really a meaningful question until you actually have that decision to make. What a school costs on paper is fairly meaningless in this game until you actually have your offer in.

Do you have a thread you could link me to that explains all of this?

Do you have a thread you could link me to that explains all of this?

Not much to explain. If NYU gives you 30,000 dollars in aid and Davis gives you 5,000 dollars then everything changes.

Not much to explain. If NYU gives you 30,000 dollars in aid and Davis gives you 5,000 dollars then everything changes.

Is this aid free? Or is it a low/no rate loan?

Is this aid free? Or is it a low/no rate loan?

Realistically these will predominantly be Stafford loans (~7% a year up to 45k?), but some schools throw in scholarships ie Mayo gives everyone 15,000 a year.

PS Since you're looking into NYC I'd like to throw in Einstein! Their on campus apartment is something like 500 a month all utilities included and tuition is only 44k.

Since I live here:
-38k for housing.
-17k for food.
-11k for transportation.
-11k for personal.

This comes out to an estimated total of about $135k just for the school itself + any other costs needed to support myself. I would be living with my parents if I stayed in Sacramento. I'd have to own and maintain a car, car insurance, phone bill, etc.

So, you can live at home and commute, right?

How much is Davis' tuition for the SOM for instate students? Isn't it around $20k per year? If not, what is it?

NYU doesn't cost $72k per semester. That might be the annual COA, not the semester cost.

Last edited:
So, you can live at home and commute, right?

NYU doesn't cost $72k per semester. That might be the annual COA, not the semester cost.

Yes, I meant per year. And yes, I can commute.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Wait, so you're a premed who has barely started junior year and you're asking about this why? Nothing wrong with wanting to be informed in advance, but you can't really count your eggs before they hatch (getting into UC Davis and NYU, both very competitive schools).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I meant per year. And yes, I can commute.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
The numbers you're looking at for NYU do not include food or transportation. NYC is EXTREMELY expensive....

The numbers you're looking at for NYU do not include food or transportation. NYC is EXTREMELY expensive....

Just went to look at the link he posted. 13k a year does seem on the ridiculously cheap side of things. I'm not even sure you can make 13k a year work including utilities if you wanted your own studio.

Just because you go to med school in NY, that doesn't mean that you'll be doing your residency there. You may get matched for your residency in some Midwest state or whatever.

Just went to look at the link he posted. 13k a year does seem on the ridiculously cheap side of things. I'm not even sure you can make 13k a year work including utilities if you wanted your own studio.
NYU may have their own housing which is lower-cost, but there is no way that R+B number includes food. If you wanted to rent a place anywhere near NYU & not live in their housing, you're talking at least $1500 a month, if you have room mates. Small studios probably start around $1800+ in Manhattan. Utilities would likely be separate & food will also be a major expense on top of that. Metrocard is $112/month.

This is of course not considering that the OP wouldn't be starting for a few years and things will go up by then for sure.

NYU may have their own housing which is lower-cost, but there is no way that R+B number includes food. If you wanted to rent a place anywhere near NYU & not live in their housing, you're talking at least $1500 a month, if you have room mates. Small studios probably start around $1800+ in Manhattan. Utilities would likely be separate & food will also be a major expense on top of that. Metrocard is $112/month.

This is of course not considering that the OP wouldn't be starting for a few years and things will go up by then for sure.

School of Medicine Class of 2016
* Estimated Costs
Tuition and Fees $49,560
Books And Supplies $1,200
Room and Board $13,620
Personal $3,600
Health Insurance $3,960*
Loan Fees $404**
TOTAL

I could be wrong, but I think NYU undergrads often pay $15k per year for "room" alone. If so, it would be hard to believe that med students would pay less unless there is some kind of cheaper housing for med students.

Wait, so you're a premed who has barely started junior year and you're asking about this why? Nothing wrong with wanting to be informed in advance, but you can't really count your eggs before they hatch (getting into UC Davis and NYU, both very competitive schools).

Yes, it is early. I did say that I may not end up going to either place in my post, but I think it's prudent to consider these things and gather information in advance. I'd like to know as much as I can.

On another note, UC Davis is the local option for Med School. I would assume that for any other university where I would have to move to, I would be asking the same questions. In this case, it happens to be NYU, but it could end up being another school.

I assumed that the 13k year listed on the site was for me living on campus, not separately. If that is the case, that I live on campus, how far off is 13k year from what I would actually be looking at?

Realistically these will predominantly be Stafford loans (~7% a year up to 45k?), but some schools throw in scholarships ie Mayo gives everyone 15,000 a year.

PS Since you're looking into NYC I'd like to throw in Einstein! Their on campus apartment is something like 500 a month all utilities included and tuition is only 44k.

Are there any others in NYC?

It's also worth pointing out that UC Davis School of Medicine only fills each incoming class with roughly 10% of its own undergrads (as do many other medical schools). Last year more than 590 UCD graduates applied to at least 5 US allopathic medical schools. What percentage do you think applied to the UC Davis School of Medicine? Probably most of them. So, roughly 2% of the UCD graduates that apply to medical school end up matriculating at Davis.

I got the >590 applicant number here: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/86042/table2.html

It's also worth pointing out that UC Davis School of Medicine only fills each incoming class with roughly 10% of its own undergrads (as do many other medical schools). Last year more than 590 UCD graduates applied to at least 5 US allopathic medical schools. What percentage do you think applied to the UC Davis School of Medicine? Probably most of them. So, roughly 2% of the UCD graduates that apply to medical school end up matriculating at Davis.

I got the >590 applicant number here: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/86042/table2.html

That is odd. When I was meeting with a counselor from UC Davis, she told me that the Med School was actually 72% Davis grads, although I have constantly heard otherwise. If indeed that acceptance rate is that low, then odds are I will be going to a different Medical School.

That is odd. When I was meeting with a counselor from UC Davis, she told me that the Med School was actually 72% Davis grads, although I have constantly heard otherwise. If indeed that acceptance rate is that low, then odds are I will be going to a different Medical School.

Just look at the MSAR, this information is published. My online subscription ran out so I can't check it right now, but I remember getting the 10% number there.

Also that's just the number of students that end up going there, not the number that are accepted.

Maybe she meant to say that 72% are UC grads.

If Davis or UCI med school had a reputation of having an enrollment of 72% from its undergrad, that undergrad's apps would go thru the roof. Hey, maybe UCR should try that.

Last edited:
Maybe she meant to say that 72% are UC grads.

If Davis or UCI med school had a reputation of having an enrollment of 72% from its undergrad, that med school's apps would go thru the roof. Hey, maybe UCR should try that.

Do you mean that the undergrad apps would go through the roof? I actually wish I knew about the Haider program when I was in high school.

Do you mean that the undergrad apps would go through the roof? I actually wish I knew about the Haider program when I was in high school.

Yes, thanks for catching my mistake. I fixed it.

It sounds like you have a lot to learn about the basics and your options, before you worry about the specifics. After applications are said and done, you may find that you don't even have this choice to make. The CA schools are notoriously hard to get into, even for in-state applicants. Although I have no experience with NY schools, I hear they are really competitive, too. I'm not suggesting that you can't do it (honestly, I know nothing about you, you may have started a clinic in Kenya), but for the sake of your sanity, cross this bridge when you get to it

To help:
I went to this conference 2 years ago at UC Davis (undergrad not med school, but still close to where you are in Sacramento) and it's a great information source about the process, how to prepare, and what to expect: http://www.amsaarcucd.org/
Also, check out www.premedsurgery.org. It's a great, local internship opportunity at UC Davis medical center--I highly recommend it, especially if you are considering the school.
Join a local pre-med group--American River College or UC Davis may let you into theirs and start asking questions.

Good luck!

It sounds like you have a lot to learn about the basics and your options, before you worry about the specifics. After applications are said and done, you may find that you don't even have this choice to make. The CA schools are notoriously hard to get into, even for in-state applicants. Although I have no experience with NY schools, I hear they are really competitive, too. I'm not suggesting that you can't do it (honestly, I know nothing about you, you may have started a clinic in Kenya), but for the sake of your sanity, cross this bridge when you get to it

To help:
I went to this conference 2 years ago at UC Davis (undergrad not med school, but still close to where you are in Sacramento) and it's a great information source about the process, how to prepare, and what to expect: http://www.amsaarcucd.org/
Also, check out www.premedsurgery.org. It's a great, local internship opportunity at UC Davis medical center--I highly recommend it, especially if you are considering the school.
Join a local pre-med group--American River College or UC Davis may let you into theirs and start asking questions.

Good luck!
Thank you for the info! Yes, I do need to learn a lot about this, no doubt. I actually go to ARC right now, I had no idea they had a premed group. I will look into it.

School of Medicine Class of 2016
* Estimated Costs
Tuition and Fees $49,560
Books And Supplies $1,200
Room and Board $13,620
Personal $3,600
Health Insurance $3,960*
Loan Fees $404**
TOTAL

I could be wrong, but I think NYU undergrads often pay $15k per year for "room" alone. If so, it would be hard to believe that med students would pay less unless there is some kind of cheaper housing for med students.

The NYU med school does offer subsidized housing to students - approx. $900/month including Internet and utilities. I checked it out on interview day and it was small but otherwise not half bad.

I actually kinda like midtown Sac. Lots of hipsters though. Probably the best thing about living in Sacramento would be that it's close-ish to Tahoe.

Being close to Tahoe is a plus! :)

Being close to Tahoe is a plus! :)

I don't know a lot of people that go. Like 4 or 5. Nobody else here really cares, at least the people I know. I broke my arm the first (and last) time I went snowboarding, so I stay away from snow.

I don't know a lot of people that go. Like 4 or 5. Nobody else here really cares, at least the people I know. I broke my arm the first (and last) time I went snowboarding, so I stay away from snow.

Yeah, it's a steep learning curve. But it's insanely fun once you get to a certain point. I kind of grew up doing it, but supposedly it's typical to have to invest a full 3 or 4 days of snowboarding before you get comfortable enough to really have fun with it.

That said, even if you don't enjoy going really fast down hills covered in snow, Tahoe is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited. I love that lake.

Thank you for the info! Yes, I do need to learn a lot about this, no doubt. I actually go to ARC right now, I had no idea they had a premed group. I will look into it.

ARC is one of the groups throwing the giant (I think largest in the country)pre-med conference. They also do a lot of mentoring. I went on the "Be a Medical Student" for a day thing and it was great--learned a lot about the daily life of med school students and got a lot of advice from current med school students. http://www.amsaarc.org/

Good luck.

This thread is creepily familiar to my life...

OP, I suggest you move to Davis, go to Davis, familiarize yourself with living on your own but still having your parents close by, and when it's time for med school, apply to/go wherever your heart desires. You may have a change of heart in those 2 very short years.

Yeah, it's a steep learning curve. But it's insanely fun once you get to a certain point. I kind of grew up doing it, but supposedly it's typical to have to invest a full 3 or 4 days of snowboarding before you get comfortable enough to really have fun with it.

That said, even if you don't enjoy going really fast down hills covered in snow, Tahoe is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited. I love that lake.

Keep Tahoe blue by keeping people away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep Tahoe blue by keeping people away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, right. For those of you who have never been, this is Lake Tahoe:

SuperStock_1848R-301949.jpg

ARC is one of the groups throwing the giant (I think largest in the country)pre-med conference. They also do a lot of mentoring. I went on the "Be a Medical Student" for a day thing and it was great--learned a lot about the daily life of med school students and got a lot of advice from current med school students. http://www.amsaarc.org/

Good luck.

:thumbup:

Yeah AMSA ARC is super involved.

The conference is a partnership between AMSA chapters at UCD and ARC (mostly UCD students now though).

It's the largest pre med conference. The deans of admissions from bunch of the top schools attend, the surgeon general has come the last few years as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 i think, but I don't really know. Im just a lowly premed.

I think you should go spend your two years at UCD and then make sure you want to stay in the general area before obsessing over it right now. I took the same path as you, (community college then transferred to UCD), and will probably apply to UCD for med school. Sacramento is super boring, but at least you could cut costs by living at home.

As far as pre-med clubs, definitely check out ARC's AMSA chapter. I'm part of the UCD AMSA chapter and we have a suture clinic coming up on the 28th. Residents from the UCD Med Center in Sacramento teach you some basic suturing skills on pigs feet. Here's a link: http://sutureclinic2013.eventbrite.com

PM me if you want to know more about UCD's AMSA chapter or UCD in general.

Also if you're going to Davis, be sure to look into the student-run clinics! Very powerful experiences to be had there. There are many organizations to get involved in besides the premed clubs and fraternities, too.