cost of generic risperdone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scorcher31

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys had any insight as to why generic risperdone still costs hundreds a month? It pains me to see patients prescribed medications they can't afford and I was really hoping the atypicals would be 4 dollar plan material once they become generic. How long does this usually take or won't it ever happen? It's been great having most of the SSRIs on the 4 dollar plan and i know a bunch of atypicals are off patent soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I might be), but I think there's only 1 main company making the generic version. Maybe once the other atypicals go generic the competition will drive down prices, but I'm not holding my breath.

Haldol dec only costs pennies ;)

I'm not sure how many currently make a generic version, but I know Janssen was first in after J&J, and they made a killing. While price-fixing would be illegal, the other generic manufacturers typically test the market to find a pricepoint that gains them enough marketshare for it to be worthwhile.

*edit* Janssen not Teva, whoops.

Members don't see this ad :)
It all boils down to whether or not enough companies are willing to make it at a cheaper price. Those $4 generics are meds that are in very high demand. While I'd love for Risperdal to become a $4 generic, the demand for an antipsychotic is nowhere near that of an antidepressant.

Sometimes, even if a company can make a killing off of it, they still won't make it because they just never gotten around to it.

Just because something is available in generic doesn't mean it'll be cheap. Generic Effexor is still darned expensive, as well as several other meds. If a company chose to make it a generic med for $500, but the tradename med is $600 a month, that is unfortunately more the norm than seeing a $4 generic.

Usually once the drug becomes generic,maybe its only one other company which applies to FDA to make it. So the cost remains pretty high for the next year or two.Sometimes it feels like there is a deliberate collusion between the Drug company and the generic manufacturer to keep prices high.

I observed the same thing with paxil, but as time went by it became cheaper. I would say give risperdal another year and it would be pretty cheap once 3-4 companies start manufacturing it.

I called around to pharmacies about 1 year ago asking about risperdal cost for patients and I got split responses. Some said a month was in the mid $100's, others had it for $20-30. The hospital pharmacy said they noticed their price actually varied between the two depending on which company they bought the risperdal from. One company was more expensive, but sometimes when they ordered a batch the more expensive company was the only one with any product available so they would have to pay more and pass the cost along to the patient or insurance. Suffice to say I would suggest calling various pharmacies, esp costco, to check for price differences.

$100 most places where I'm at and $20 at a pharmacy we have a contract with.

I think the FDA gives the first generic maker a period of exclusivity that lasts about a year.

From the World of Uselss Knowledge....I remember there was a legal battle about the exclusivity period for risperdone. I can't remember the particulars, but Teva got squeezed because they were in a legal fight with Janssen and lost some of their exclusivity window because the other generic manufacturers were ready the day the window lapsed.

I think the "exclusivity period" varies, as I've most often heard 6 months, though I have seen shorter periods. Anyone know for sure?

How many of your patients on Risperidone have the financial foresight and/or cash on hand to buy an annual Costco membership?

Just one more barrier....

You do not need a membership to use the pharmacy at Costco. In many states this is illegal. Your patients can tell the door person that they are going to the pharmacy. They will ask for the member card at the pharmacy, but the pricing is the same whether you have it or not.

You do not need a membership to use the pharmacy at Costco. In many states this is illegal. Your patients can tell the door person that they are going to the pharmacy. They will ask for the member card at the pharmacy, but the pricing is the same whether you have it or not.

Thank you for educating me. :oops:

You also do not need a membership to buy alcohol at Costco! (in the states that allow alcohol sales at Costco, that is).

You also do not need a membership to buy alcohol at Costco! (in the states that allow alcohol sales at Costco, that is).

The difference between a medical student and a fellow :):thumbup:

THAT little tidbit is worth GOLD!
So probably true at Sams Club, too, huh?
Thank you so much.

If anyone gets a list of states where this is (or isn't) true, please post.

So, here's the answer from Sams Club, off their website:

Pharmacy
Published 04/13/2009 02:49 PM | Updated 08/15/2011 08:27 AM
May nonmembers buy from the pharmacy?

You do not have to be a Member to buy your prescription medications from Sam's Club.

For all other purchases, nonmembers will be assessed a 10% service fee.

Each Sam's Club Pharmacy location stocks more than 300 of the most commonly prescribed medications for just $4. For a quick-reference tool that will help you find the specific medications you're looking for, click here.

Sam's Club Pharmacy also offers convenient access to your prescription(s) anywhere in the United States. Simply take your prescription(s) in or ask your pharmacist to transfer your prescription(s) to any Sam's Club Pharmacy location, where your prescription(s)will be transferred and filled quickly.

As an additional convenience, you also may have your prescription(s) transferred to any Walmart store or Neighborhood Market.

Plus Members can get up to 25% off traditional drugstore prescriptions when they present their Plus card at their local Walmart or Sam's Club pharmacies.

Last time I called eneric was $25 for 30 pills at the pharmacy next door (M-tabs were less) to our office and $200 at CVS.