Cost of Pre Med Post Bacc programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDyoucantseeme

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone else is concerned about the program costs for post bacc pre med classes/programs. I am in the NYC area and from my research my only options for a reasonably priced school are Rutgers or CUNY.

For the people who took out loans to go to a private post bacc pre med program what was your reasoning?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat: making the decision between cheap and big state school DIY, and expensive post-bac program with small classes, built-in post-bac community, and a slim possibility for linkage.

The money is the main worry.

But, I wonder if it's worth it if you're setting yourself up for the best shot at success.

I also wonder if it's worth it as an older student going back to school to have that community of post-bac students in place, as opposed to being lost in a sea of undergrads while trying to get the classes you need.

But, on the other hand, the money.... ouch.

I'm in the same boat: making the decision between cheap and big state school DIY, and expensive post-bac program with small classes, built-in post-bac community, and a slim possibility for linkage.

The money is the main worry.

But, I wonder if it's worth it if you're setting yourself up for the best shot at success.

I also wonder if it's worth it as an older student going back to school to have that community of post-bac students in place, as opposed to being lost in a sea of undergrads while trying to get the classes you need.

But, on the other hand, the money.... ouch.

I can sympathize. I definitely think there's some value to taking classes with people who have at least graduated from college (having taken my prereqs in a continuing studies-type of environment), but yeah, the financial cost is a killer.

I would say to go with the cheaper option. Look at it this way: working with a younger cohort can only prepare you for the same thing in med school, and after class you can always log into SDN and snark on the youngins. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at it this way: working with a younger cohort can only prepare you for the same thing in med school, and after class you can always log into SDN and snark on the youngins. ;)

laserpdog.gif

:smuggrin:

3) Postbaccs, especially in New York, can be ultra competitive and cutthroat. Do not underestimate that fact (Columbia postbacc is a sea of sharks that eats nontrads and spits them back) My advice is to go to the best school that you can do well in.

Where are you getting your information on Columbia?