cost of residency application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who have gone through the residency application process give me a rough estimate of how much the whole process will cost. I am looking at applying to 40 +/- programs. I know the figure is variable depending on how many interviews, etc. But just roughly how much was the total cost including airfare, hotel stay...Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone who have gone through the residency application process give me a rough estimate of how much the whole process will cost. I am looking at applying to 40 +/- programs. I know the figure is variable depending on how many interviews, etc. But just roughly how much was the total cost including airfare, hotel stay...Thanks

Too many variables to give a reasonable estimate. If you interviewed @ 20 programs in the NYC/Philly area (including NJ and CT) for example, you could easily just drive to each place and come home afterwards. So there you're only in for gas and tolls. If you interview @ 20 places spread out around the country (I did this...16 interviews total) you're looking at a few (3-8) plane trips and a bunch of hotel rooms if you don't have couches to crash on. This could easily add up to several thousand dollars.

It varies a lot. I did about 15 interviews and spent 3500 or so by the time you add application fees, etc. It's hard to do a trip to a program and back in one day, even if it is within a couple hours of driving for a few reasons. First, many places have events the night before which I think are important to attend. Second, some places start super early (my earliest was 7 AM). Leaving yourself driving time AND time to park, get lost, etc. can mean a really early start to the day.

Thanks for the replies. Guess I better start saving every penny!!

looking at my financial records I spent $1500 total. That includes the application fee and interviews. I had only one plane flight, the rest I drove around. Hotels were paid for at every interview so it was mostly a gas and meal expense for me.

looking at my financial records I spent $1500 total. That includes the application fee and interviews. I had only one plane flight, the rest I drove around. Hotels were paid for at every interview so it was mostly a gas and meal expense for me.

Is that the norm, that hotels are paid for?

I've set aside several thousand for interviews this year, but I'm applying pretty broadly around the country and will likely have a lot of plane fares in there. I know students at my school who have taken out additional loans in anticipation of application costs.