cost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drwanabe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i was wondering how canadians managed to fund their education in ireland, i mean the quality is great but the price is high, i know people go through RBC, scotiabank, etc, but it's insane, i think rbc, etc, only give 150,000 if i'm correct. Also, is there any talk in the future of Univeristy of dublin, offering 4 year program ( i think this is the school that doesn't require MCAT ??). Or any other school, thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that in addition to the bank loan of $150,000, OSAP gives you a small amount (about $5000) because you are studying abroad. Also, CanHelp loans provide up to $25000 a year. You can find details here: http://www.atlanticbridge.com/med/financial_aid/facanada.htm

But in the end I have the same question, is it realistic for someone with no money to start with and absolutely no help from family to study medicine in Ireland?

hi, are you studying medicine in ireland or considering it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to UCD and Trinity during this application cycle, but am still waiting for a decision.

how many cycles are there? and is it for sept 07? which school wants the mcat and which doesn't? Best of luck, i would love to there, it's crazy expensive, i've even considered saba in carib. b/c i know people who went there, i'm a mature student (26) and i'm a nurse working in atlantic provinces. Drop me a line

There is one application cycle a year, i believe the deadline is sometime in October, but there is also a late deadline of Feb. 1. And yes, i did apply for Sep 07 start. The only school that doesn't require the MCAT is Trinity, but you can also apply to UCD if you haven't written the MCAT (if you have written it, you have to release the scores to them).

I've also considered Saba and others in the Caribbean, but have decided to try for Ireland because it gives you a chance of coming back to Canada for residency, wheareas chances are much smaller with the Carib schools.
Most students starting medical school are close to your age so don't let the "mature student" label deter you if medicine is what you really want to do. Good luck!

thanks, i know a couple of people doing residency in newfoundland at mun who went to saba, and recommended it. And i no of others who are doing it in halifax. I think the atlantic provinces are pretty goog to IMG's