Costs of school MPT vs. DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT2004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts about the more affordable MPT school vs. the extremely expensive DPT school????

is it smarter to go to the less expensive MPT school and continue on with a "transitional" DPT? or go straight to the more expensive DPT school?

Members don't see this ad.

What are your thoughts about the more affordable MPT school vs. the extremely expensive DPT school????

I am aware this doesn't exactly answer the question, but I thought it was worth pointing out that there are other options. A quick look showed that Loma Linda's MPT program will cost you around $57k in tuition. There are plenty of DPT programs with tuition costs lower than this.

It really depends on your situation. In general, the DPT programs are pretty expensive since a majority of them are private schools in CA that offer them. All of the state schools offer the MPT, with CSUSF and CSUFresno offering a DPT from UCSF, but there is no guarantee that you will get in to it since it is based on your gpa and other factors, but you can do the tDPT somewhere else.

Like the above poster stated, some MPT can be expensive. I would look at each school and crunch all the numbers before I make a decision. If you have to move it will cost a lot more for you. I would say go to whatever program is close to home no matter MPT or DPT. Your work might pay for your DPT later on, but if not that will cost you as well so consider that. Hope this helps bro.

Members don't see this ad :)
can you tell me which DPT schools cost less than 57 k?? any in CA?

Besides the state programs, probably none. The previous poster might be referring to out of state programs that cost that much. Cheapest in our state for DPT and private, might be Samuel Merritt which is about ~70k, and their tuition does not increase throughout the years. That is just tuition though, so not to factor in books, fees, parking permits, etc... If you have to move to Oakland the cost will go up though.

I think if you want to stay under 65k, you have to go to a state program. Even through a state DPT it might cost, because living near UCSF is pricey.

You can read that article they gave us at UOP, but I would say it is a bit biased since it was written by the lady who interviewed me from UOP, but it gives a good summary of the cost of each school factoring in the tuition and cost of living. UOP only goes up in ranking because it is 2 years, so she factors in the lost income from possible work, which is not realistic. =(

http://ijahsp.nova.edu/articles/vol4num1/little.pdf

I forgot to add that the study was only done for schools in CA and that the salary they used to show loss of income only comes out to be about $51k a year. It was also done almost 3 years ago, so tuition, cost of living has gone up.

If you were to find a job after you get out of school in CA, you will most likely make more in the 55k~65k range, so that is also a factor since income level has gone up as well.

I am aware this doesn't exactly answer the question, but I thought it was worth pointing out that there are other options. A quick look showed that Loma Linda's MPT program will cost you around $57k in tuition. There are plenty of DPT programs with tuition costs lower than this.

I thought Loma Linda was a DPT program.

I thought Loma Linda was a DPT program.

A search for MPT programs on APTA listed that as one. Like I told the OP though, I'm from the other side of the country so I really know little about CA schools. That was just an example.

I think that LLU is a DPT, but on the APTA website it states MPT. I am assuming they changed recently and it takes some time for the website to update the status. Most of the info on APTA is a few years old, such as tuition, which changes every year.

I think that LLU is a DPT, but on the APTA website it states MPT. I am assuming they changed recently and it takes some time for the website to update the status. Most of the info on APTA is a few years old, such as tuition, which changes every year.

yeah I heard from people that CSUN has a dpt program now....maybe APTA is lagging on the update on that as well...

yeah I heard from people that CSUN has a dpt program now....maybe APTA is lagging on the update on that as well...
I believe that right now they are in the process of offering a joint doctorate with UCLA (like SFSU and UCSF) but the program is still and MPT. There's a stupid law in California that prevents the CSUs from offering doctorates so the doctorate is issued by the UC.

Edit: I just checked CSUNs website and they are only offering the MPT right now

http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/chhs/departments/physical-therapy/DPT/

it seems like UCI and CSULB are working on the joint DPT program, while CSUN and UCLA are working more towards doing a doctoral degree in Audiology. I don't know how old that information of CSULB's website it though.

From what I've heard, it isn't going so well. Last I heard, UCI wants CSULB to increase the tuition, which CSULB doesn't want to have to do (but that doesn't mean they won't). They managed to get it to the president of UCI, but he wouldn't sign it because he wanted tuition increased.

I attended one of the info sessions for CSULB last year and one of the faculty told me that UCI isn't going to pull the trigger on the DPT anytime soon. He told me that with the economy in the gutter it might take even longer to get such a program started. Most likely CSULB will have a MPT for at least a few more years and CSUN I think is doing the Au.D like someone stated, not the DPT. Eventually they will all convert. It is just a matter of time.

I'm trying to get in a MPT program right now, so that way I can possibly have my employer pay for the tDPT.