Costs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anesgirl13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does it typically cost to apply to residency? What if you're applying to a prelim and another program?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Cost to "apply" varies depending on the number or programs. It's about $100 for the first 10 programs, then I think ~$8 per program after that up to 20, then ~$6 per program after that up to . . . It keeps going. I'm assuming you only mean cost to submit the application on ERAS. Registering for the Match, traveling for interviews, etc brings on a whole other set of expenses. Anyway, ERAS charges by total number of programs, it doesn't matter if some are prelim and others something else.

mackie said:
Cost to "apply" varies depending on the number or programs. It's about $100 for the first 10 programs, then I think ~$8 per program after that up to 20, then ~$6 per program after that up to . . . It keeps going. I'm assuming you only mean cost to submit the application on ERAS. Registering for the Match, traveling for interviews, etc brings on a whole other set of expenses. Anyway, ERAS charges by total number of programs, it doesn't matter if some are prelim and others something else.
My total cost to apply to residency, including 12 interviews, was about $4000. (That's not including taking the Step 1.) In addition to that, during 4th year you pay for Step 2, the Step 2 BS exam with travel, and relocation costs after graduation. Financial aid does not stretch far enough to cover everything. Our fin aid office actually suggested we take out personal loans to cover the extra expenses. I didn't think I would need it so I declined, but thankfully I have a significant other working right now, or I would not have made it.

I'm a terrible accountant so I can't give great numbers, but I spent between 6 and 8K this year. This includes Step II (both parts..including that 1K stinker), ERAS and NRMP fees and travel expenses. I applied to 30 programs and interviewed at 10 with two second looks with my wife. Sadly, some of my flight reservations were last minute and that got MUCH more expensive.

I took out a 10K loan to cover it. I'd like to say the extra two grand is in a bank waiting to cover moving expenses but its not.

Take care,
Jeff