Could an MPH count as research during med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlexMack12

I have no idea what I'm doing.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've interviewed at a school that allows for the completion of an MPH degree in 3 summer semesters or in one year of dedicated MPH coursework while obtaining the MD degree and it's something I'm strongly considering doing because at this point in time, I am genuinely interested in public health- I'm a non-trad who has done work in the public health area and would not at all be doing this to 'pad' my CV.

However, I fully understand that students' interests change while in medical school, and the areas/specialties they think they are interested in change by the time they apply for residency.

I know that research is an unwritten requirement for a growing number of residencies (I'm just about as certain as I can be without having gone to med school yet that I won't be interested in super competitive residencies such as anything surgical, dermatology, or radonc, but there are lots of other areas I really am not sure about, and everything tends to become more competitive as the years pass! ). The thing is, the coursework for the MPH would be done the summer before MS1, in between MS1 and MS2, and the last of it done after boards between MS2 and MS3. However, this is also the time when many students get involved in "regular" research.

My question is, if I change my mind about seeking a residency in a specialty where the MPH would be extremely relevant, and am looking towards a residency where research would be helpful, could the work done for the MPH degree possibly satisfy that unwritten research requirement? Or would I be considered the same as an applicant without research experience? Basically I'm just nervous about limiting my options before I'm a bit more certain about the path I want my career to take.

Also, I know for the super competitive residencies, they're looking mostly for people with research IN that area. I'm mainly talking about moderately competitive residencies that would consider any research advantageous, even if they would obviously prefer research in that specific field as well.

I'm sure there are no definitive answers but if anyone could weigh in with any kind of input, it would be much appreciated. Thank you all for reading and (possibly) advising!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a master's degree so I'm assuming you'll have to do a research project and write a thesis on top of the coursework. I'm not familiar with any MPH programs that don't require an independent research component. At my school, we are required to do research and a thesis for the MD degree. But, those that are doing the combined MD/MPH program have this requirement waived because they are already doing research for their MPH.

So, if you want to make sure you've got research on your resume in med school, the MPH will cover it but it's going to be public health related research--probably not something related to a competitive residency, although I don't know how important that really is.

miles per hour.... Sorry I couldn't resist