could I get accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

neuro920

I just took my DAT in early November so i'm getting my scores in basically right before the deadline. I'm only applying to Marquette.

VR: 18
QR 19
Bio 19
chem 19
Ochem 25
AA 20
PAT 14 : :(

G.P.A 3.6
science G.P.A 3.7
My research experience, shadowing and extracurricular activities are strong. With such a poor PAT, do I have a chance of getting in?

Any advice on how to study for the PAT. I don't know how to go about it.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Call Marquette and just ask them what they think about that 14. They may be willing to overlook that section. Honestly every other section of your application is pretty good. However, that 14 sticks out like a sore thumb. Good luck. :)

neuro920 said:
I just took my DAT in early November so i'm getting my scores in basically right before the deadline. I'm only applying to Marquette.

QR 19
Bio 19
chem 19
Ochem 25
AA 20

G.P.A 3.6
science G.P.A 3.7
My research experience, shadowing and extracurricular activities are strong. With such a poor PAT, do I have a chance of getting in?

Thanks.

I suggest you retake it. That is just my opinion though. If I were to study again for PA, I would buy DAT achiever. If I had known about the program, I would had bought it to prep me for the PA. Kaplan PAT is a freaking joke, I got overconfident and bombed it on the real exam.

neuro920 said:

QR 19
Bio 19
chem 19
Ochem 25
AA 20

G.P.A 3.6
science G.P.A 3.7

Thanks.

I think the only way to study for the PAT sections is to practice it until you feel sick. So that way you develop tricks that work for you. That’s what I did!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Can someone plz. advice on how to increase the speed on the RC bcos when i take the mock exams I am unable to complete the exam and thus end up scores in the range of 14-16. Als, need suggestions on how to solve the Top, Front, End view, Keyholes and Pattern folding problems. I find them pretty time consuming and hard in the kaplan exams but many here have suggested that the real DAT is not too bad and angle ranking is usually the hardest.

Also, any suggestions on Loma Linda University Dental Program. When do they accept students and by when does one have to turn in the DAT results.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

lk9402 said:
Hello,

Can someone plz. advice on how to increase the speed on the RC bcos when i take the mock exams I am unable to complete the exam and thus end up scores in the range of 14-16. Als, need suggestions on how to solve the Top, Front, End view, Keyholes and Pattern folding problems. I find them pretty time consuming and hard in the kaplan exams but many here have suggested that the real DAT is not too bad and angle ranking is usually the hardest.

Also, any suggestions on Loma Linda University Dental Program. When do they accept students and by when does one have to turn in the DAT results.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

can't help you with pat cuz i sucked on that section. but as for the rc, have you tried NOT reading the passages? i found reading the passages to be a waste of time cuz i never remembered the details..and ended up having to look for the answers anyway..

so the way i did that section was just go straight to the questions..then searched for the answers..

neuro920 said:

QR 19
Bio 19
chem 19
Ochem 25
AA 20

G.P.A 3.6
science G.P.A 3.7

Thanks.

I would have to say that it really depends on what kind of skill set each school is looking for. I do not know about Marquette, but in general there are schools that would rather have high GPAs than high DAT scores, and other schools that prefer the exact opposite. Therefore, if I had to venture a guess, you will definitely get accepted to schools lookign for strong academic backgrounds as they will most likely look past that one bad score on the DATs. Hope this helps, as it is merely my 2 cents on the issue.

14 will probably make it difficult for u. check with the school before u apply.

r0entgen said:
can't help you with pat cuz i sucked on that section. but as for the rc, have you tried NOT reading the passages? i found reading the passages to be a waste of time cuz i never remembered the details..and ended up having to look for the answers anyway..

so the way i did that section was just go straight to the questions..then searched for the answers..

Agreed, I just started with the questions and looked in the passage for the answers. As said, you won't remember the details if you read the whole thing, the only advantage would be maybe remembering where to look. I found that after going through a couple of questions I could remember paragraph numbers and that helped. I used Kaplan and topscore for everything, including PAT and had a 19 PAT. The only thing to do to improve is get different practice PATs and keep doing them until you get better. Good luck.

with more and more students trying to get in to dental school it is getting tougher and tougher. I would check out what are the average scores for students that do get in, but even Howard (the easiest school ie lowest DAT scores had about 16 average).

Best bet to retake the exam and practice the PAT section. Otherwise you might be throwing away your money and time.

Here are my thoughts:
If I were an adcom, I'd take you considering the interview went well...I imagine some schools if you applied to more than just Marquette would grant you an interview upon reviewing your entire application. The only thing is...alot of schools have cut offs...meaning they'll place your app aside until you retake the DAT and score above that 14...which ultimately means they won't see the stellar aspects of your application. I don't agree with this at all...but schools seem to feel like it is the right thing to do. I'd say you have two things against you...taking the DAT late in the game, and the low PAT...but give it a shot, definitely call Marquette and speak to them about it. Good luck. :)