could i get into DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MisterDuck27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in 2013 and I was planning on going into PA and started taking micro, anat, and physio (currently in) after i graduated. I am studying for the MCAT right now because I want to go into D.O. my cGPA is around 3.3 and my sGPA is around the same. Assuming I do well on my MCAT (say 30 or whatever a 30 would be on the new MCAT) are my chances of getting in reasonable. I will also be taking an EMT course and working as an EMT for 6-12 months. I am also almost 25 years old, so I just feel like I will be too old to go if I apply in 2016. the main reason for the large gap, assuming I apply in 2016 is because I am trying to pay off all of my school debt before I go back. I have some research experience and I was the president of a student run volunteer program that helped out the homeless. I am planning on shadowing this year as well.

Members don't see this ad.

With a 30 (or equivalent) on the MCAT, your chances are decent. Always easier said than done though.

You will be fine with 30 in the MCAT...and you won't be too old starting med school at 27... I started about 2 months ago and I am in my mid 30s. Like @pericardium says, getting 30 in the MCAT is doable albeit not easy. There is reason why a 30 almost put you in the 80% percentile... Regardless, 26+ in the MCAT will get you in somewhere, but it might not be the most reputable DO schools...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious as to what your other ECs are. A 6-12 month EMT means that you are still a Probie so I wouldn't rely on that as your sole EC. Do you have any shadowing experience or anything else? DO schools generally look for the whole person as opposed to just stats.

I graduated in 2013 and I was planning on going into PA and started taking micro, anat, and physio (currently in) after i graduated. I am studying for the MCAT right now because I want to go into D.O. my cGPA is around 3.3 and my sGPA is around the same. Assuming I do well on my MCAT (say 30 or whatever a 30 would be on the new MCAT) are my chances of getting in reasonable. I will also be taking an EMT course and working as an EMT for 6-12 months. I am also almost 25 years old, so I just feel like I will be too old to go if I apply in 2016. the main reason for the large gap, assuming I apply in 2016 is because I am trying to pay off all of my school debt before I go back. I have some research experience and I was the president of a student run volunteer program that helped out the homeless. I am planning on shadowing this year as well.

I have a 36 year old first year classmate. You're never too old to do what you want to do!

Dude are you serious? 25 and old...I am 27..will be 28 if i matriculate. In that case, i should be considered an "antique".

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. 26. That's insanely old. Forget DO... start looking into collecting social security!

I'm 31 and applying to schools this cycle (and feel young relative to many I know applying). It's not about age, it's about desire (do you actually want to commit to this path or not). The oldest person I've met that was a DO student was an MS3 in her 50s.

Reactions: 2 users
Your grades are above the cutoffs for every school. Just don't bomb the MCAT and you should get in somewhere.

I'm curious as to what your other ECs are. A 6-12 month EMT means that you are still a Probie so I wouldn't rely on that as your sole EC. Do you have any shadowing experience or anything else? DO schools generally look for the whole person as opposed to just stats.
I was the president for a student run organization at my school (for a little over a year) where we helped the homeless with basic first aid and set up fundraisers for them to help them eat and wash their clothes every other week. I also volunteered to visit the elderly at their nursing homes and in hospitals for about 6 months. I have yet to shadow any doctors yet, but I am planning on shadowing both D.O. and M.D.s for contrast.

Also, I know my age isn't actually old, but seeing people I know get accepted just has me feeling a little down about myself. I have the drive and desire to become a physician though which is why I am still trying my best to obtain my goal.

Don't feel old man.. I just turned 25 and I've worked as an EMT for about two years now, so you'll be about where I am when you reach 25

I was the president for a student run organization at my school (for a little over a year) where we helped the homeless with basic first aid and set up fundraisers for them to help them eat and wash their clothes every other week. I also volunteered to visit the elderly at their nursing homes and in hospitals for about 6 months. I have yet to shadow any doctors yet, but I am planning on shadowing both D.O. and M.D.s for contrast.

Also, I know my age isn't actually old, but seeing people I know get accepted just has me feeling a little down about myself. I have the drive and desire to become a physician though which is why I am still trying my best to obtain my goal.

Listen Howard, I was older when I started than you will be when you start. You're still young. A ton of people in my class (easily 1/3) were around my age when I started.