Could it really be true..????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radoncmonkey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Word on the street in Philly is that Fox Chase is in serious financial trouble. Faculty seem to be jumping ship on an almost daily basis. A couple of neurosurgeons visited our department recently and actually said they had reliable info that fccc is going under - I cannot fathom that this could really be true. As a med student who ranked them high, it makes me nervous though. Can someone out there just tell me to chill and this is all stupid nonsense rumors? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ive heard similar rumors and more, like possibly moving to another campus around philadelphia or even in delaware. its probably one of the reasons pollack left when he did...

im surprised this didnt come up on the interview trail....

hmm..I dunno. They may be having some attrition issues, but I think it's probably a little far-fetched to think they would actually close their doors. It wasn't in the too distant past that they were pushing hardcore to expand (but got rejected b/c of land rights). If they had the $$ for that, I would think they could recover from some level of financial instability..but I could be wrong, I'm just a resident with no inside info whatsoever. But Fox Chase is a pillar of cancer care both in Philly and nationwide..I would think this would be all over the media if there was any serious concern.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah so I've heard Fox Chase had tremendous debulking over the last 18 months. I think the entire institution had some old dead weight with giant names and salaries that were simply resting on their monumental accomplishments as they waited for retirement. Who can blame them, some of these fat cats have Nobel Prizes!! I know that a ton of people left (or were not assisted in staying) and moved on to chair positions around the country with maybe a little bitterness. Fox Chase is about to finish or maybe has finished a huge new clinical and research expansion, and the awesome new rad onc dept is almost done with tons of new toys. Has always and will always be a leader in cancer care. It is easily one of the strongest prostate and physics clinical departments in the country. Plus I think the rad onc chair Eric Hurwitz is the president of the American Brachytherapy Society. What I don't like about Fox Chase is that they are buying up, partnering with, or building satellites all around the tri state area - it is just not necessary.

I think it is important to pay attention to the finances of the institution. Baylor is on probation after ugly financial losses. Philly is a competitive market so I'd bet the financial pressures are real. Consequences for trainees are hard to predict.