could someone calm me down please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jl1616

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so like many other people on this forum, I am getting extremely nervous about the whole application process. In particular,
I am trying to decide on the best time to take my DAT to complete my application. My application has been mailed from AADSAS to my schools. I plan to be ready to take it around August 20th (maybe a little later, but definitely before september) but I'm a little nervous that I might be waiting too late.
Should I speed up my studying big time to take it earlier, or can I stop stressing a little and just take it by the end of august?

Members don't see this ad.

Look. SDN isn't therapy...

Take the test when you feel you are ready and when you feel it is best. At some point, you have to stop trusting everyone else's opinion (and it is just other people's opinions) and trust your own judgement.

Take the test when you feel you will be ready. Don't try to cut a week out of your study time just to get ahead of a couple hundred other applications. I can't say if you took it a week earlier or later or if you took it tomorrow, which day you'd do better on...no one knows and everyone who would tell you to do this or do that would only be guessing at what MIGHT happen.

Just trust in your own judgement, believe in yourself, and go back to the library and study and don't waste your valuable time asking SDNer what they think about this or that decision that will have no affect on their lives...only yours. You can spend as much time on SDN as you want after you finish your DAT.

jl1616 said:
Okay, so like many other people on this forum, I am getting extremely nervous about the whole application process. In particular,
I am trying to decide on the best time to take my DAT to complete my application. My application has been mailed from AADSAS to my schools. I plan to be ready to take it around August 20th (maybe a little later, but definitely before september) but I'm a little nervous that I might be waiting too late.
Should I speed up my studying big time to take it earlier, or can I stop stressing a little and just take it by the end of august?

Take a deep breath,....hold it in,....count to five, then exhale.

Repeat this several times until your heart stops palpitating like crazy. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my DAT in September and my application wasn't even submitted until I was done with the DAT. I applied to ten schools and received interviews at seven of them. I only attended four of the interviews (cancelled the other three) but I was admitted to these four schools after the interview (Buffalo, Columbia, Penn and Stony Brook). I will be attending Buffalo...we start next week!

I did not know about SDN until December when I had already been admitted to a school. Thank goodness I didn't because, like you, I would have been going crazy. My point is that if your grades and DAT scores are good you will be ABSOLUTELY fine. I know it is nearly impossible, but try to stop stressing.

Good luck!

djeffreyt said:
Look. SDN isn't therapy...

Take the test when you feel you are ready and when you feel it is best. At some point, you have to stop trusting everyone else's opinion (and it is just other people's opinions) and trust your own judgement.

Take the test when you feel you will be ready. Don't try to cut a week out of your study time just to get ahead of a couple hundred other applications. I can't say if you took it a week earlier or later or if you took it tomorrow, which day you'd do better on...no one knows and everyone who would tell you to do this or do that would only be guessing at what MIGHT happen.

Just trust in your own judgement, believe in yourself, and go back to the library and study and don't waste your valuable time asking SDNer what they think about this or that decision that will have no affect on their lives...only yours. You can spend as much time on SDN as you want after you finish your DAT.

Good point! You know what they say about free advice: "you get what you pay for" Best of luck still! :)

Breath in...breathe out...

Late August is fine. You'll still get interviews that'll put you before Dec 1.

I think you'll be fine. Better to wait a few weeks and do well. Then rush and not do well.

sarahkate235 said:
I took my DAT in September and my application wasn't even submitted until I was done with the DAT. I applied to ten schools and received interviews at seven of them. I only attended four of the interviews (cancelled the other three) but I was admitted to these four schools after the interview (Buffalo, Columbia, Penn and Stony Brook). I will be attending Buffalo...we start next week!

I did not know about SDN until December when I had already been admitted to a school. Thank goodness I didn't because, like you, I would have been going crazy. My point is that if your grades and DAT scores are good you will be ABSOLUTELY fine. I know it is nearly impossible, but try to stop stressing.

Good luck!

I hope you called Stony Brook and let them know you wont be attending... Some of us (ahhhem) are on the waiting list and run to the phone every time it rings - still...

Yes, they knew I would not be attending months ago. Best of luck to you!

Indie said:
I hope you called Stony Brook and let them know you wont be attending... Some of us (ahhhem) are on the waiting list and run to the phone every time it rings - still...

jl1616 said:
I would definitely try to get it done before September if possible just because that's when the first round of interviews usually go out. If you're paranoid, you should get it done ASAP to relieve your stress because it's apparent that you're worried about the timing of the DAT. But first you need to relax, maybe get a little drunk (if its legal) before making your decision. But just make sure you're READY before you write it.

one word: "woooooooooosaaa" say it together now people

thanks guys

it's barely august.. nervous time come around dec-may.. you're a bit early.. so calm down..

sarahkate235 said:

Good luck!

Congratulations on getting in...do you mind sharing your stats for others who will be taking DAT in september?

youre in good shape. i took the dat late august last summer, submitted my aadsas late july, and my dat scores beat my application by several weeks. i had all my interviews scheduled before dec. 1st with no problem!

zthang said:
Congratulations on getting in...do you mind sharing your stats for others who will be taking DAT in september?

DAT: AA 21, TS 19, PA 18
GPA (AADSAS): Overall 3.75, Sciences 3.79

By the way, when I looked up these stats I saw the date my application was submitted to AADSAS. It was submitted on September 19th.

I don't think you will ever feel ready to take the test. I know I didn't, but I just went ahead and took it. Just relax and realize that you are probably far more ready than you think you are. I did better than I thought I would do. That is one problem with having the ability to take the DAT any day of the year. I know that I kept thinking, "well, I could study another couple of weeks and raise my score another point or two." In reality, you know what you know and will do much better than you think you will. Best of luck to you!!