Could someone please help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportygirl10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just got my scores back. Feeling awful. Got a 30 O on May 22 and got a 29Q today. My AAMC practice tests indicated I would greatly improve.

May 22:
9 VR
10 PS
11 BS

June 18:
9 VR
10 PS
10 BS

3.87 GPA, graduated a year early to work full time as a Nursing Assitant, lots of research/shadowing and club bball.

Do I have any shot at good MD programs? will schools only look at the 29 or do they look at your best? Please help. Need some encouragment.

Members don't see this ad.

each school has their own methods.

i think most schools will consider your highest score. (this is just my opinion)

you may want to ask LizzyM for more accurate advice.

good luck!

i wonder why you retook with a 3.9/30... you would have been competitive at most schools...

i dont think it's going to be such a huge deal. you only had a month to make a huge change in your mcat and you basically had the same score. i wouldnt retake. just apply to schools with averages around 3.7+/high 20s low thirties that are not too tough to get into IS/OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with redlight, why did you retake the MCAT? That was a bad move.

I walked out of the May 22 feeling lowsy. Took June 18th test before I received my score to get into the application process as early as possible.

Have I blown my shot at fulfilling my dream?

I *think* most schools will look at the higher score. That being said, you can still get into some MD schools with a 29 (I did). It will depend on the rest of your app.

i honestly still think you are fine for non-top selective schools. for example if you were in-state at texas and applied broadly i think you'd be fine getting in somewhere. i dont think a 1pt reduction between tests taken a month apart will hurt too bad.. this is just my opinion though, no real facts to back this up. good luck!

edit: obviously i am assuming competitive ECs, and it looks like you've got that covered.

I walked out of the May 22 feeling lowsy. Took June 18th test before I received my score to get into the application process as early as possible.

Have I blown my shot at fulfilling my dream?

No you haven't blown it. But look around the forums, or call up schools you are interested in. There are some schools that take the highest MCAT, some that take the most recent, and some that take the highest composite. Apply accordingly - you should be fine. Good luck!

Hi, just got my scores back. Feeling awful. Got a 30 O on May 22 and got a 29Q today. My AAMC practice tests indicated I would greatly improve.

May 22:
9 VR
10 PS
11 BS

June 18:
9 VR
10 PS
10 BS

3.87 GPA, graduated a year early to work full time as a Nursing Assitant, lots of research/shadowing and club bball.

Do I have any shot at good MD programs? will schools only look at the 29 or do they look at your best? Please help. Need some encouragment.
It depends on the school for how they view your MCAT...even with a 29 you have a shot at getting in. It may hurt that you went down on your 2nd MCAT but it was only by one point.

I don't know why everyone on this site is so obsessed with averages and getting a "Magical 30+". There are plenty of people who get in with under a 30...that is why it is called an average. You may not have a shot at some of the top 40 schools (although I would ALWAYS suggest applying to a "reach school" or two...because I got into one of my reach schools). But I really think you have a shot at your state school and some of the other 85+ schools out there.

Don't worry too much

BTW what is your GPA? If you have like a 3.85+ then I really think a 29 might not hurt you too much...but if you have like a 3.5 or below it may hurt a bit.

Good luck

It depends on the school for how they view your MCAT...even with a 29 you have a shot at getting in. It may hurt that you went down on your 2nd MCAT but it was only by one point.

I don't know why everyone on this site is so obsessed with averages and getting a "Magical 30+". There are plenty of people who get in with under a 30...that is why it is called an average. You may not have a shot at some of the top 40 schools (although I would ALWAYS suggest applying to a "reach school" or two...because I got into one of my reach schools). But I really think you have a shot at your state school and some of the other 85+ schools out there.

Don't worry too much

BTW what is your GPA? If you have like a 3.85+ then I really think a 29 might not hurt you too much...but if you have like a 3.5 or below it may hurt a bit.

Good luck

I have a 3.87. You've given me hope!