Could this be the first step to limited student loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I read this today and thought it's something to think about about students' loan debt. Could this be the first step to declare student loan debt crisis? Does this mean in future, students won't be able to borrow money as much as they do now...or not at all?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110602/ap_on_re_us/us_for_profit_colleges_regulations

I think this is good, but not good enough. 65% or more have to default on loans before government does something about it. That would mean things are really really bad. It should be more like 50 or 40 percent or even lower.
 
This is targeted to for-profit schools that put students in insurmountable debt without any real job skills and a degree not even worth the paper it was printed on. This shouldn't affect pharmacy students in the least bit.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is targeted to for-profit schools that put students in insurmountable debt without any real job skills and a degree not even worth the paper it was printed on. This shouldn't affect pharmacy students in the least bit.

for-profit schools are pretty much the equivalent of no-doc subprime mortgage brokers. at least a house with negative equity can still be lived in; what good is a degree after you realize it's crappy and worthless?
 
i think the current 6.8% interest they are charging on loans is ridiculous. Especially when I signed on at it was <1%. I hope government would provide some sort of forgiveness on larger loans, maybe even just for healthcare providers. Like a 10% forgiveness. Throw me a bone, Obama!
 
i think the current 6.8% interest they are charging on loans is ridiculous. Especially when I signed on at it was <1%. I hope government would provide some sort of forgiveness on larger loans, maybe even just for healthcare providers. Like a 10% forgiveness. Throw me a bone, Obama!
I can get a better loan rate on a new car than on graduate-level education. :meanie:

It's funny, except that it makes me cry a little inside...
 
Well of course you get a better rate on a car loan:

1) A repossessed car has value.
2) There is competition in the car loan business.
3) Car loans are based on real economic values - i.e., What is the credit worthiness of the applicant, and What is the value of the car serving as collateral?

The only downside (from the lender's perspective) to a car loan is dischargability, but car loan lenders know that risk going in, and price it in (charging higher rates or outright refusing bad credit risks) and look at the worst-case scenarios (if the person doesn't repay, what's the repoed car going to be worth to us?) as part of their decision-making process.

That said - I don't buy the argument that no one would make student loans if they were dischargable in BK - first, I remember my undergrad days, when I had to dodge at least four credit card offers daily on my way to class. Creditors _want_ to give credit to college students - God only knows why. We had to actually pass laws to limit them.

Second, the government is making the loans now anyway. So there's no private business to scare away in the first place.


That said, the move against for-profit schools being a step towards reform for the rest of us? No, they'll declare victory on the "crisis" and then not act for years. It's surprising they're doing even that much, after all they "solved" the crisis last year as part of the health care package.
 
i think the current 6.8% interest they are charging on loans is ridiculous. Especially when I signed on at it was <1%. I hope government would provide some sort of forgiveness on larger loans, maybe even just for healthcare providers. Like a 10% forgiveness. Throw me a bone, Obama!

👍 I remember all my undergrad loans were right around 2-3%. Ah, the good old days! So happy I made my husband consolidate his loans back then and lock in the low interest rate!
 
i think the current 6.8% interest they are charging on loans is ridiculous. Especially when I signed on at it was <1%. I hope government would provide some sort of forgiveness on larger loans, maybe even just for healthcare providers. Like a 10% forgiveness. Throw me a bone, Obama!

It is ridiculous, mortgage rates are better. It shouldn't be this hard to go to school in this country or at least we shouldn't be penalized like we are. I think we can all agree that the government gets theirs in the long term from the higher tax bracket most grad students fall into.
 
It is ridiculous, mortgage rates are better. It shouldn't be this hard to go to school in this country or at least we shouldn't be penalized like we are. I think we can all agree that the government gets theirs in the long term from the higher tax bracket most grad students fall into.
6.8% on non-forgivable loans is a heck of a lot better return than what most other investments give these days.
 
When I started out in undergrad, Wells Fargo encouraged me to take out more than I needed. Seeing as I was young and a first gen student with not a lot of guidance, I did and will be paying for it for a number of years.

Honestly, it's something that will be addressed sooner or later. Federal loans for places like the University of Phoenix, or any for profit school, should not be allowed. That and tuition increases need to curbed in someway, my undergrad tuition almost doubled during my time there.

I half expect to see some sort of loan forgiveness for federal loans in the future due to the ridiculous nature of some of the student loans out there.