Could undergrad class notes be useful for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cinabonchik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about o.chem flash cards.I majored in genetics and had taken lots of molecular cellular biology classes, physiology and advanced genetics.Could those be useful for my studies in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking the classes may prove marginally useful but no the notes are not. Get rid of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not talking about o.chem flash cards.I majored in genetics and had taken lots of molecular cellular biology classes, physiology and advanced genetics.Could those be useful for my studies in med school?
I, more often than not, found my own notes useless even soon after taking them. It's all about what helps you encode the information effectively at the time when you need it. Will old notes help you re-learn in a new environment? Probably not... you'll spend more time searching your notes for relevant information than is useful.

I have to agree with everyone else. Your classes in medical school will give you all of the information you need to know. At best, your notes from undergrad could serve as a reference for a concept you struggle with, but then again that's what textbooks/step review books are for. If your notes are on the computer, that makes them slightly more practical because of the search function, but I still don't think you'll use them. And as far as paper notes go, it would take way too long to even find what you're looking for and probably wouldn't be a good use of your time.

I had the same question going into med school- was wondering if I should save things like endocrinology or immunology or human phys notes. In the end, mine were of no use. 2 teachers tend to focus on very different things and the scope and context are just way too different to be useful. It's pretty unlikely yours will be of much help either.

One more thing; if you or anybody else is hanging on to your undergrad textbooks for the same reason i.e. that they might be a little bit useful in medical school, SELL THEM RIGHT NOW WHILE YOU STILL CAN! I waited until a couple years into med school before I realized I had not opened a single one of my advanced biology textbooks and by then new editions had some out on half of them so they were worthless.

I used mine for some subjects. We had really good immunobiology and biochemistry classes at my undergrad, and my notes and book helped me in med school (especially biochemistry--we had super disorganized lectures). However, most of them probably wouldn't have added much to the M1-M2 class notes...