could use advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butlerw2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I could use some advice on figuring out my best path. When I entered college, I was interested in medical school (have always preferred DO) but later on my freshman year decided to go to graduate school. Well, my interests have changed a bit since then, and I want to go into a DO program. I am a biochemistry major with a research concentration (will have a thesis completed by graduation). But, here is my dilemna: Since I was only planning on going to graduate school I never made an effort to keep my GPA too good. My cumulative GPA as of my spring junior year (where I am now) is a 3.25. I'm confident I can bring that up a little, but it is still on the low side. Now, my sciences are good: Gen Chem 1 (A), Gen Chem 2(A-), Organic 1 (A-), Organic 2(A-), Organic 3 (A), Inorganic (A), Gen Bio (A, A-), Physical Chem 1 (A-), Physics (B+, A-). Biochem is not determined yet but they should be similiar. I do not know how applications are evaluated and how much the science GPA is weighted. I am shadowing doctors to get some experience there as well. My question though... should I even bother applying for right after my undergrad or should I maybe go for my masters in biochem (2 years) and then try? I know the MCAT is an important piece, and I have not taken it yet, so there is some info lacking but this is where I am at right now and I am LOST as what path to choose. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

you really don't need a masters degree to improve your application. In fact it
Can hurt you if you perform poorly. Take it from me... This is what I did.
If you want to improve your gpa do a postbac program. Although when I was in grad school I found that the way of thinking and exam questions mirror Mcat exams. This could be beneficial to you, if you want to familiarize yourself with science articles and thinking on a critical and analytical way. But
In my opinion just do a postbac. Most medical schools don't even look at your grad school grades... With few
Exceptions of course. But when I called most DO schools... They said they pay more attention to your undergrad and postbac grades. Only do grad school of you enjoy it.

So your scienceGPA is what? From the looks of it I'm guessing 3.7-ish? If that's the case, and you keep your cGPA > 3.2, you should be fine in that regard. My thought is to get to med school ASAP because you can make more of a difference with those 2 years as a physician then as a masters student. I vote go for it, as long as you do alright on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So your scienceGPA is what? From the looks of it I'm guessing 3.7-ish? If that's the case, and you keep your cGPA > 3.2, you should be fine in that regard. My thought is to get to med school ASAP because you can make more of a difference with those 2 years as a physician then as a masters student. I vote go for it, as long as you do alright on the MCAT.

I second this, get on the ball with LORs ECs VOL hrs etc. Have a polished app in EARLY in the cycle and you'll have no problem getting in SOMEWHERE!

I agree with everyone else! I would recommend taking the MCAT to determine your next steps. If you need more coursework to strengthen your undergraduate GPA, postbac can be a fantastic option. Postbac programs or informal coursework can provide the following benefits:

1. Allow you to strengthen your undergraduate cumulative and science GPA
2. Create a strong increasing trend, as long as you earn A's
3. Provide opportunities for you to get current letters of recommendation
4. Demonstrate your commitment to excellence and your academics
5. Prepare you for the level of coursework taught at medical school if you focus on taking upper division biological science courses

For more information about applying to postbac programs, I am attaching the special report I have written about them, attached here. Good luck to you!

thanks for your input!

Yeah, it's just stressful trying to figure out everything. I just want to rest in confidence that i will get in at least somewhere. And as one of you mentioned, worst comes to worst there's always postbac.

Your GPA is fine. Take the MCAT when ready and apply this upcoming cycle.

Hello All,

I could use some advice on figuring out my best path. When I entered college, I was interested in medical school (have always preferred DO) but later on my freshman year decided to go to graduate school. Well, my interests have changed a bit since then, and I want to go into a DO program. I am a biochemistry major with a research concentration (will have a thesis completed by graduation). But, here is my dilemna: Since I was only planning on going to graduate school I never made an effort to keep my GPA too good. My cumulative GPA as of my spring junior year (where I am now) is a 3.25. I'm confident I can bring that up a little, but it is still on the low side. Now, my sciences are good: Gen Chem 1 (A), Gen Chem 2(A-), Organic 1 (A-), Organic 2(A-), Organic 3 (A), Inorganic (A), Gen Bio (A, A-), Physical Chem 1 (A-), Physics (B+, A-). Biochem is not determined yet but they should be similiar. I do not know how applications are evaluated and how much the science GPA is weighted. I am shadowing doctors to get some experience there as well. My question though... should I even bother applying for right after my undergrad or should I maybe go for my masters in biochem (2 years) and then try? I know the MCAT is an important piece, and I have not taken it yet, so there is some info lacking but this is where I am at right now and I am LOST as what path to choose. Any advice would be appreciated.