Could use some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ENT2020

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I'm using this account for a little anonymity but I was wondering if anyone had some advice for me. I've become very interested in going into ENT and will be participating in the 2020 match. My stats are pretty competitive, Step 1 > 260, Comlex ~ 800, class rank < 5, Honors surgery, OBgyn, medicine. Some undergrad research, so far in Med school 1 poster of non-ENT but highly involved project, 2 first author pub non-ENT (one was an op-ed one was a review article), working on a third that will be ENT related, as well as a non-ENT case report, plus I have lots of leadership positions and extracurriculars. My worry is that in 2020 there will be VERY few remaining DO oto spots, with many of the programs shutting down due to the merger. That said, we will be able to apply to all residencies and enter one match. Has anyone heard of traditionally ACGME programs that might be DO friendly with an audition? I don't want to waste one on a program that will not consider me and there are so few spots given to DOs every year that it is hard to make meaningful conclusions based on the data (whether or not the applicants were family members of the PD, etc.) I'd also like to know more about matching into DO programs as well as I would not be opposed to that either (things like to which programs would be good for me to apply/rotate). I would appreciate anyone's help with some info, you can also feel free to PM me if you want to remain anonymous or whatever. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

. My worry is that in 2020 there will be VERY few remaining DO oto spots, with many of the programs shutting down due to the merger.

A decent amount of the ENT programs are making it actually. You are a very competitive applicant and likely have a very good chance at ENT if your application strategy is sound. With regards to all of your questions and such: paging @Preston Garvey

Reactions: 1 users
A decent amount of the ENT programs are making it actually. You are a very competitive applicant and likely have a very good chance at ENT if your application strategy is sound. With regards to all of your questions and such: paging @Preston Garvey

To give people an idea, of the 15 DO Oto programs that applied for ACGME accreditation, 10 already have initial ACGME accreditation, 4 are continued pre-accreditation, and 1 was a voluntary withdrawal.

For more info: ACGME - Accreditation Data System (ADS)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Cool thanks for the responses guys. I know most of the ones that applied got accreditation, but there are 4 closing and it was already a small specialty to begin with (quite a few of these programs only take 1 applicant per year). I just wanted to maximize my chances with aways and stuff.

Cool thanks for the responses guys. I know most of the ones that applied got accreditation, but there are 4 closing and it was already a small specialty to begin with (quite a few of these programs only take 1 applicant per year). I just wanted to maximize my chances with aways and stuff.

There is actually only 1 that is officially closing as of now according to the link above. The 4 that are still at continued pre-accred might still get it, I actually know for a fact that one of those will as I know the PD and some of the people in it.

Reactions: 1 user
There is actually only 1 that is officially closing as of now according to the link above. The 4 that are still at continued pre-accred might still get it, I actually know for a fact that one of those will as I know the PD and some of the people in it.
True, I think all the ones that did apply will receive accreditation, I was more referring to the 4 that have already decided they are closing. Wyoming MI, Kirksville MO, St. Louis MO, and Stratford NJ.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, so I'm using this account for a little anonymity but I was wondering if anyone had some advice for me. I've become very interested in going into ENT and will be participating in the 2020 match. My stats are pretty competitive, Step 1 > 260, Comlex ~ 800, class rank < 5, Honors surgery, OBgyn, medicine. Some undergrad research, so far in Med school 1 poster of non-ENT but highly involved project, 2 first author pub non-ENT (one was an op-ed one was a review article), working on a third that will be ENT related, as well as a non-ENT case report, plus I have lots of leadership positions and extracurriculars. My worry is that in 2020 there will be VERY few remaining DO oto spots, with many of the programs shutting down due to the merger. That said, we will be able to apply to all residencies and enter one match. Has anyone heard of traditionally ACGME programs that might be DO friendly with an audition? I don't want to waste one on a program that will not consider me and there are so few spots given to DOs every year that it is hard to make meaningful conclusions based on the data (whether or not the applicants were family members of the PD, etc.) I'd also like to know more about matching into DO programs as well as I would not be opposed to that either (things like to which programs would be good for me to apply/rotate). I would appreciate anyone's help with some info, you can also feel free to PM me if you want to remain anonymous or whatever. Thanks.
Listen, at the end of the day, you’re a highly competitive applicant and should have a good foot in the door at most, if not all, former DO programs. With that said, most places will still require an audition for a solid chance, during which you can shoot yourself in the foot by not working hard/being prepared/knowing your place. As far which programs are best to rotate at, most people will plan out a “regional swing” so to speak. Whether that’s the Michigan programs, Ohio programs, or the more eastern ones is entirely up to you. Every year there are a smattering of rockstar DOs that go MD, but those are few and far between. Your best bet lies with the former DO programs. Keep doing research, go to some journal clubs/didactics if you can, get good letters, and rotate well. You’ve put yourself in a very nice place academically thus far.

First off congratulations at building such a strong application! You will definitely be in the upper echelon of DO and MD applicants to our specialty. Even though a few programs are closing, you named them, the DO programs that survive the merger are still your best bet. The majority have DO Program directors and will still heavily favor DO applicants. I interviewed at 10 of the DO programs and all of them (some more than others) emphasizes the need to audition to have any actual chance or matching. MD students aren't going to use auditions at these traditionally DO programs and if they did it would be an uphill battle because of the DO preference. If I were in your shoes I would use all of my auditions on traditionally DO programs, and I would do 2 week rotations; however i would also apply broadly to all the MD programs with your scores and research. Hopefully you have good letters to go along with it. If you have more specific questions about DO programs or anything else PM me and I'd be happy to talk.