Could you give me an advise, please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rena

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation.

I am a psychiatrist from Russia, 11 years after graduation.
My husband is currently doing his PGY2 in Neurology. I am on J2 visa.
I am going to participate in the next Match.
I already have my Step1 score (93/224). I scheduled CK for June, CS for August. I have PhD from Russia, some publications in Russian Psych Journals (nothing special and outstanding), experience in clinical trials.
What could I expect from the Match? I mean, does it worth to apply for "top" or university based programs or it's just wasting time and money.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I know that it sounds ridiculous. Like posts from USMLE.net "Please help! Old grad with low scores, visa problem. Could I have any chances"

I saw here some attendings and chief residents. I guess they know the criteria, how they select applicants for the interview.
I know that the best way is directly communication with programs. But what could you advise unformally?

Sorry to say this, but your publications don't mean too much when applying for psych residency- many FMG's have publications.. I would advise you to apply widely to psych residency programs, but you don't have much of a shot at top programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pass your USMLEs, especially Step 3 if you can.
Get US clinical experience.
Apply widely.

You have a shot at getting a spot--but it may take a couple of tries.
Good luck.

Yes apply widely & get USMLE Step III done.

Practice your English. Several programs I've heard will not even consider a candidate unless they speak English well. IMHO the best way to learn a new language is to be immersed in that language. Another method is to use Rosetta Stone (software program) which I found much better than reading books on learning new languages.

Grads who graduate years ago (more than 3) have a worse chance of getting in.

I would look favorably on published psyche articles, even in a different language. I would request copies of those published articles if they were translated. I would look even more favorably if the articles were well written & covered interesting topics. However several programs have more of a closed minded approach to this. I figure the reason why is when they got hundreds of applicants for only a few spots, they're not going to spend the extra 15 minutes per candidate to understand that candidate's special circumstances.

Overall, I wouldn't hold being a grad out of school for some time against you, but most programs I know would. From my own experience, a graduate like you is often more mature, reliable & experienced than some of the brand new graduates, but again, several programs do hold being an older graduate against you.

One of our current first years is a Cuban immigrant, a mother and practiced pediatrics in Cuba for a few years. She's one of our best residents, is highly reliable & knows her medicine well. I couldn't have expected that level of medical knowledge from a fresh graduate.

You might find some of the programs having a more open mind about this than others.

I would definitely try to get an observership position, especially at places that aren't that popular. At my program, all observers get interviews.

A related question: when programs consider your year of graduation, do they pay any attention to your clinical activities post-graduation? I mean, a lot of older graduates that I have seen on some programs' websites are immigrants that have been in the US for several years, not in clinical practice, either as homemakers or doing some completely not relevant. Or, they have been practising in their own (usually less developed) countries. What if you have been practising medicine (and have a recent clinical qualification from) another developed country? Surely it makes a difference?

I am only saying this because someone I know matched this year to his number 1 choice. He is a UK grad, 8 years out of medschool, but always has been in active clinical practice in this country. Evidently, the program did not hold his graduation year against him.