Could you guys help me with a school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mTORC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This was a terrific resource for me when I made my school list last year. It lists every MD/PhD program in the country according to their activity:

https://www.aamc.org/download/321544...ctstable33.pdf

Look at the number of matriculants vs. number of applicants to get a sense of the program. Notice some of the programs that received a lot of applications didn't matriculate a single student (e.g., GW, Georgeton). This is often an indication that the program does not provide a stipend or is not funded etc. I only mention this because I know absolutely nothing about the MD/PhD program at Arizona. This would be something to examine before you send in your app. Many schools will allow you to apply MD/PhD without actually having an active MD/PhD program.

As for your school list, it does seem quite top heavy. That's not to say you're not competitive at many of those programs (it seems you're quite qualified) but it couldn't hurt to hedge your bets with a few non-top 25 MD-PhD programs -- including non-MSTPs. Another helpful strategy for those with sub-39 MCATs is to look at the total number of applicants a program receives. Places like HMS and Columbia receive 600+ apps, making it less likely that they'll thoroughly look at yours if your numbers don't immediately jump off the page. There are many schools with tremendous reputations (Iowa, Dartmouth, Wisconsin, Maryland, Minnesota, etc.) that often receive between 200 and 300 total applications, making them more likely to give them all thorough consideration.

However, with your background and research experience, I wouldn't worry too much. As long as you follow the standard recommendations of applying as early as possible (can't stress this enough) and as broadly as possible, I'm sure you'll do very well. Good luck!

You have a very good application. There is no reason that you should not be competitive at the top programs. Because your application could be better (MCAT), you should simply apply to more programs, including top programs (because you do have a shot at them). Your sciences are fine, so I don't think your MCAT score will prevent you from getting interviews (especially considering your research resume).

If you do not have a tight budget, apply to the programs you listed, and include more top (top 10, top 20) MD/PhD programs.

Also, I don't understand why you are applying MD-only at some places (eg: Harvard) that would separately consider you for MD if you do not pass the MD/PhD screen. Clinical volunteering hours don't matter at all. For shadowing, 50 hours is more than plenty.

I'd speculate that you will have a busy interview season.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're going to be fine with that school list. I'd even add more top-ranked programs as well. Don't apply MD-only, especially to Harvard and Stanford that simultaneously consider MD/PhD applicants for MD-only. The way that you're going about this almost makes it seem like you'd pick those schools' MD-only program over an MD/PhD. If that's the case, you should re-think applying MD/PhD.

I think you should do well this application cycle.

Your research experience looks outstanding.

You are right that your MCAT may hold you back, especially at some of the top schools, but it's around the average for many lower-ranked MSTPs. And the elite schools may see something else they like in your application, and in that case your MCAT isn't so low as to kill your application.

As always, apply broadly. Include some reach and safety schools, including some fully-funded non-MSTPs (although I expect you'll wind up at a solid MSTP).

And good luck.

Thanks guys for the encouragement and advice! I've never applied so this application season will be really scary but thrilling.

The reason I was going to apply "MD-only" to those three programs was because I didn't think I could get in to the MSTP. After all, I want to be a physician scientist, and need a medical degree to pursue that initiative. But, from your advice I think I will apply MD/PhD to these schools now. I'll also add some more.

Thanks for everything! :)

Thanks guys for the encouragement and advice! I've never applied so this application season will be really scary but thrilling.

The reason I was going to apply "MD-only" to those three programs was because I didn't think I could get in to the MSTP. After all, I want to be a physician scientist, and need a medical degree to pursue that initiative. But, from your advice I think I will apply MD/PhD to these schools now. I'll also add some more.

Thanks for everything! :)

You sure you want to pay $250K to be a physician scientist when you can do the same (and get an extra graduate degree) for free at any of these other MSTPs?

Premeds these days...

btw..what makes you think you can't get into Hopkins, HMS or Stanford but that you can get into Duke, UCSF and Penn? You can never know for sure and it matters alot whether you're a good fit for them.

Thanks for your input crazygunner. You're right about the debt and being a physician scientist. I should have a more commanding confidence, otherwise this process will squash me. Thanks :)

Apply broadly, too. Some of the lower tier MSTP or smaller non-MSTP schools with a niche in your research would probably be wise to add to your list, too. Ditto with applying to top schools of interest. I didn't think I would get a look from some of those schools with a similar MCAT score, but I wound up with interviews from some top programs. Just depends on what they're looking for this year.