Counseling as Clinical Hours/Healthcare Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MikeLee-Son

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a professional counselor (think stereotypical depression, anxiety, and trauma counseling). Is this considered clinical hours and/or healthcare experience? We refer to ourselves as "healthcare" in our office, but will adcoms see it that way?

I don't know if it matters, but I'm going the D.O. route.
 
I'm not an adcom, but I would say that it weighs a lot as far as healthcare/non-clinical experience goes. But it probably wouldn't count as traditional clinical experience. I had lots of hours as a pharmacy tech which they considered as "healthcare" experience, but not "clinical".
 
I am a mental healthcare provider too and recently spoke with a DO admissions rep who told me mental health is health and counts for clinical experience. I’m sure opinions vary but at least for that school they would count it, hope that helps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It really depends on the makeup of the adcom. It would go a lot further if a psychiatrist happens to be in there, but that's a crapshoot.
 
I am a mental healthcare provider too and recently spoke with a DO admissions rep who told me mental health is health and counts for clinical experience. I’m sure opinions vary but at least for that school they would count it, hope that helps!
Nice! Mind if I ask which school that was? They're going to be a lot higher on my list now :-D