Counseling Psych Admissions Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattie2239

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a desperate lack of discussion about counseling psych programs on this board, and I was wondering whether anyone had any insight about the difference between counseling psych and clinical psych admissions. I know that many counseling psych programs favors master's applicants, but I get the feeling that research experience isn't at important (though still is a big part of the process) for counseling psych programs. Most of the professors I have spoken with say that some sort of research experience is important, but that it can vary widely.

I am applying to only counseling psych programs. I am completing a master's degree in counseling and have also worked as a research analyst for a pediatric psychologist for about year. However, my undergrad background is not in psychology (and no thesis, publications, etc.) and I am worrying whether this will hurt me or not. I have significant clinical experience and a strong GRE (1500ish). I know that it would be pretty much impossible for me to get into clinical psych programs with my lack of a psych background, but would I be in good shape for counseling psych? I'm not a minority so I know that makes it even harder for counseling psych programs.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a desperate lack of discussion about counseling psych programs on this board, and I was wondering whether anyone had any insight about the difference between counseling psych and clinical psych admissions. I know that many counseling psych programs favors master's applicants, but I get the feeling that research experience isn't at important (though still is a big part of the process) for counseling psych programs. Most of the professors I have spoken with say that some sort of research experience is important, but that it can vary widely.

I am applying to only counseling psych programs. I am completing a master's degree in counseling and have also worked as a research analyst for a pediatric psychologist for about year. However, my undergrad background is not in psychology (and no thesis, publications, etc.) and I am worrying whether this will hurt me or not. I have significant clinical experience and a strong GRE (1500ish). I know that it would be pretty much impossible for me to get into clinical psych programs with my lack of a psych background, but would I be in good shape for counseling psych? I'm not a minority so I know that makes it even harder for counseling psych programs.

What is your undergrad background? What sort of counseling program are you in and what sort of courses are you taking in your particular program? Some master's programs for counseling have a strong psychology underpinning ad are really counseling psychology. With a strong GRE and a good GPA (implied?) and work experience you are on your way, but programs do vary. By the way you could still go into clinical psych, but you would have to add some psychology courses and a little training to your background. If counseling psych is your desired route ask the schools you are applying to for what they are looking for and have your transcripts evaluated. Hope this helps! I can answer better once I know more about your background.

I know that many counseling psych programs favors master's applicants,
I'm in a Counseling psych program and this was not my experience in applications.
but I get the feeling that research experience isn't at important (though still is a big part of the process) for counseling psych programs.
Nor was this.

If you're applying to programs like Maryland, Delaware, UF, Iowa State, etc., the lack of research will put you out of the running. Some other places (UND, maybe Utah) may be more practice-focused but it depends on the adviser.