Countdown to Peds Match!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to those who matched and god speed to those SOAPing.

I can't believe that I will be there in a year. I'm already excited/nervous/anxious just waiting to see how my MS4 friends matched and its not even me!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 10 spots was crazy to me. Blessed to be matched, praying for those who are soaping.

After I saw how few spots there were in SOAP, I honestly don't care if I match my very last choice. At least I matched!

After I saw how few spots there were in SOAP, I honestly don't care if I match my very last choice. At least I matched!

Same. I obviously am hoping for somewhere in my top 6 or so, but I'm sure I will wind up being perfectly happy no matter where I wind up :)

what i found more crazy was that there are 38 total derm spots in the entire country...wtf. thank goodness i hate rashes.

You hate rashes and you're going into peds? LOL.

You hate rashes and you're going into peds? LOL.

to be fair i plan to specialize in cardiology, but are you really trying to compare the amount of skin rashes seen in pediatrics to dermatology? I can handle it when it comes up, but to have every single patient I ever were to see be some sort of skin problem/rash...:thumbdown:

Most of the derm spots are PGY-2 spots, but it's still not very many...something like 340.

ahh that makes more sense

There are more than 38 derm spots. You were looking at the PGY 1 derm spots. Most derm spots require a ty year and so they are listed under PGY2. There is something like 300 derm spots. There were 8 unfilled derm spots total this year, 1 pgy1 and 7 pgy 2.

2 more days!

Just found out that out of the 12 of us in my class going for peds, we had one that didn't match. Completely shocked and heartbroken for her. Makes me that much more thankful to have a spot!

I don't know if any DO students who are SOAPing are reading this thread, but there seem to still be some spots left at two DO programs - one in Detroit and one in Florida. I have been keeping an eye on the AOA post-match site after seeing how few spots there were left over (and also reading some of the SOAP thread).

I feel very bad for anyone who has to SOAP. Seems odd that people aren't matching into specialties that we are always told are "not competitive" like FM, IM, and Peds.

20 hours left!

Peds match was so competitive this year, only 10 spots left in SOAP! While Pediatrics was traditionally thought of as an "easy/less competitve" speciality to match in, I have noticed that in the past couple years, it has been getting more and more competitive. I think this has a lot to do with the increased numbers of applicants, both MD and DO, especially considering the numerous new medical school openings (both MD and DO) in the past 5-6 years, as well as the existing medical schools also increasing their class sizes. And while the Primary Care Residency Expansion program under ObamaCare funded many, many new residency programs in IM and FM (there have been large increases in IM and FM residency slots in the past few years), there have been no new Peds residencies created, and only tiny,tiny increases in new Peds residency positions.

Good luck to everyone today!!!! I matched and am so so relieved, thankful and grateful to have done so, considering how competitve the Peds match was this year. I personally know a few Peds applicants who didn't match and had to SOAP, and I've been helping them out this week and it's been a rough week for them. I am so blessed and thankful to have matched and cannot wait to find out where!

10 min to go!!! (I am currently on vacation in Mexico with my family, so I'm missing out on my school's Match Day ceremony, and I will find out where I matched on the NRMP website)

Hoping for my #1 but will be happy with any of the places on my Rank Order List!!!

Good luck everyone!!!