Couple of questions about sugar chemistry and reducing/oxidizing reagents.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThunderSplash

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm almost through the orgo portion of destroyer and the sugar problems are really messing with me. How much does the DAT focus on sugars? I can label alpha or beta and name linkages but stuff about Tollen's test +/-, D or L sugar, mutorotations, non-reducing, etc. are proving difficult. I know the destroyer is known for being over the top...

Also, is there a cheat sheet for reducing and oxidizing reagents besides just remembering what each specifically does? I think I have the hang of them but was wondering if there was a lazier way, like a flow chart or something. I find that they're easy to mix up. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Chad's videos has a video dedicated to sugars. He said it's more important for MCAT takers (so do with that what you will), but if you want a crash course it's a good place to go.

Reactions: 1 user
Chad's videos has a video dedicated to sugars. He said it's more important for MCAT takers (so do with that what you will), but if you want a crash course it's a good place to go.
I'm considering doing another sweep of Chads videos. Everything leads back to him, haha. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user