Couple of questions for the Rad oncs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mulletfluf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a first time post for me, so bear with me on this one. Let me preface my questions by stating that I am currently a pre-med and will be taking the april mcat. I have a solid gpa and strong extracurriculars.

So why is a pre-med posting in a graduate medical forum? Well, I will be graduating with a degree in radiologic science and will soon become a radiation therapist. I have two years of clinical experience in rad onc and will soon be employed at a center in the Cleveland, OH area. I love working with cancer patients and I absolutely love the field I am in. In fact its the reason why I am pursuing medicine. As you can imagine im aiming for radiation oncology.

Will being at radiation therapist have any bearing on securing a rad onc residency position? What about being a cmd? As far as publications go, must they be research? I am currently co-authoring a portal design book detailing CT simulation procedures with my program director.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Mulletfluf said:
This is a first time post for me, so bear with me on this one. Let me preface my questions by stating that I am currently a pre-med and will be taking the april mcat. I have a solid gpa and strong extracurriculars.

So why is a pre-med posting in a graduate medical forum? Well, I will be graduating with a degree in radiologic science and will soon become a radiation therapist. I have two years of clinical experience in rad onc and will soon be employed at a center in the Cleveland, OH area. I love working with cancer patients and I absolutely love the field I am in. In fact its the reason why I am pursuing medicine. As you can imagine im aiming for radiation oncology.

Will being at radiation therapist have any bearing on securing a rad onc residency position? What about being a cmd? As far as publications go, must they be research? I am currently co-authoring a portal design book detailing CT simulation procedures with my program director.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.
of course it will. You dont have to publish in anything technically but while the field is competitive it helps. What you've done already shows interest and capability in the field. Just enjoy med school, do well and goodl uck. Hopefully the folks in Cleveland will be looking for a new doc to join them in a few years too.
BTW would love to see a new portal design book.