Couple of Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flare

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m sending my Pre-medical Committee letter of recommendation out to every school (which has my MD/PhD recommenders included). I guess this would be mostly school specific; however, does anyone know if the MD/PhD committee requires those specific letters to be sent separately? I just found that Pitt wants the letters separately; though, after looking through all the req’s at other schools, I could not find any others that deemed it necessary to do so. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Additionally, I was told to communicate with schools to check about application completion, (apparently, it is supposed to show interest :confused: ) Though, almost all of the schools have been sending e-mails where they explicitly say not to contact them. Is it a myth that they record every time that you touch base them?

Lastly, does MD app completion mean MD/PhD app completion?

Thanks for any comments guys!

Members don't see this ad.

First, MD app completion does not mean MD/PhD app completion. Aside from the fact that there are additional essays and such on the AMCAS, most MD/PhD programs are distinct entities and thus, may have additional, school specific, secondary application materials that you must complete. Make sure that every section (including the MD/PhD supplements) are completed on AMCAS, and then check the websites of every program you are applying to to ensure they don't have some wierd requirement(s).

As far as where to send letters, most programs I am familiar with request all the letters together--the admissions (or equivalent) office then forwards the necessary MD/PhD materials to the director of the program. I wouldn't play games, though--for Pitt. you may want to mail a complete set of letters (including MD/PhD) to both MD admissions and MD/PhD admissions. Doesn't hurt to cover all bases, right?

In terms of contacting them for application status, I don't think it hurts anything. After you send your application, give each office a couple of weeks to compile everything--then, contact the support staff (administrative assistant, secretary, etc.) of the program and ask about your status and if there is any additional documentation that they anticipate requiring. Just don't contact the office 2-3+ times each week and ask how your application is coming...you don't want to look pushy ;)

Yeah, don't feel bad about contacting programs. There was one program that practically said in big bold letters not to contact them, and when you tried, you could *cough* only during a couple hours a couple times a week. Then, after everything else was long completed everywhere else, apparently they were missing a letter! Finally got around to telling me in January. Murphy's Law I guess.. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Flare said:
I guess this would be mostly school specific; however, does anyone know if the MD/PhD committee requires those specific letters to be sent separately?

Is it a myth that they record every time that you touch base them?

Does MD app completion mean MD/PhD app completion?

Thanks for any comments guys!

1)I would send them seperately. These offices are often a half mile from each other in a health science center, so communications is not great.

2) Somebody remembers it. Play nice and don't flagrantly disregard any office policies.

3) No.

I found that the programs all tend to do things differently. There were so many different combinations of letters to be sent to different addresses that I had to make a chart. Go back and read each of your secondaries carefuly to make sure you have fulfilled all letter requirements. And no, complete for MD does not mean complete for MD/PhD.

And Shatterstar.. I know exactly which school you're talking about... I had the same experience.