Couple questions about Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentp0x

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) How much of a factor are your extracurriculars? I guess it's very tough to put a percentage on it, but anyone know roughly how much of a factor they are?

2) When do they actually start reviewing applications? I've heard some schools (MD and DO) don't actually review applications till July or August... and I won't have my MCAT scores in till mid-July.

Members don't see this ad.

1) I don't think anyone knows unless you're in admissions
2) Not sure, but having your MCAT scores in mid-July is fine. You only really need your MCAT scores by the time you submit your secondaries.

1) I don't think anyone knows unless you're in admissions
2) Not sure, but having your MCAT scores in mid-July is fine. You only really need your MCAT scores by the time you submit your secondaries.
1) I'm Canadian and here in Canada schools look at ECs different (a couple don't care for ECs at all, while some care a lot) so unsure how US MD/DO schools are in that regard.

2) Yea so submit whatever I can by June 1st and I'm good to go basically?

Members don't see this ad :)
1. My mentor, who used to be on the admissions committee for a top tier allopathic school told me there are 3 equal factors you need to consider: GPA, MCAT, and ECs. So in the states, they're important, but no one can say for sure how much of a factor they play.

2. Yeah. Just make sure to indicate on your app that you're planning on taking it.

You're right, most schools don't review until july/august. Remember the DO cycle is much longer than the MD cycle, so applying any time in the summer for DO is still early. MD you should apply as early as possible.

If you want to apply to Nova, keep in mind the application cycle can be wildly unpredictable as we saw for the 2013-14 cycle. I love the school and I'm glad I'm matriculating there, but I look back with amazement and disbelief about the process. Just apply as early as possible and make sure your EC fit the schools mission statement

If you want to apply to Nova, keep in mind the application cycle can be wildly unpredictable as we saw for the 2013-14 cycle. I love the school and I'm glad I'm matriculating there, but I look back with amazement and disbelief about the process. Just apply as early as possible and make sure your EC fit the schools mission statement
Do you mind clarifying what you mean by unpredictable?

The majority of people who applied early were waitlisted, even if they had great stats
What sort of stats? Like 3.6+ / 30+ ? And what about the people who got in? :D

What sort of stats? Like 3.6+ / 30+ ? And what about the people who got in? :D
But also people get accepted at different times. Let's say you interviewed in September and someone else interviewed in October.
The October interviewee might have an acceptance before you.
I interviewed in October and I waited two months for an acceptance while people who interviewed in November got accepted before me.

But also people get accepted at different times. Let's say you interviewed in September and someone else interviewed in October.
The October interviewee might have an acceptance before you.
I interviewed in October and I waited two months for an acceptance while people who interviewed in November got accepted before me.
Yea so the process is randomized in a sense.
Were there people with lower stats getting in over people with higher ones? Or you don't really know.

Were there people with lower stats getting in over people with higher ones? Or you don't really know.
According to the NSU thread yes.. People with lower stats were getting in over people with higher stats. Nova also loves non trad applicants

If I were you... Don't schedule an interview early lol. Nova is extremely flexible in letting you pick interview dates ... So I would go with a late September or October dates.

This cycle, a lot of people were wait listed who interviewed early (august- September ). Your best bet is October IMO

Reactions: 1 user
According to the NSU thread yes.. People with lower stats were getting in over people with higher stats. Nova also loves non trad applicants
lol dammit... just hoping it's cause they value ECs highly perhaps.. who knows.