Couples doing residency at same place...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thundercat9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have a general question about couples match. I'll be starting at a medical school in the fall, where my sig other is currently an MS1. Is there any couples match in place for students in different med school years? Obviously she would match one year before me, but if she were to do a residency in a particular place, would I have some advantage in securing a residency there too if we were together? Is it an informal process where a residency director may consider the situation, or is there a formal application process similar to couples matching that accounts for this? Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

formally this cannot be done - you can only participate in the couples match together in a given year. as to the other questions, they're all big "maybes" - there's simply way too many variable to give you a concrete answer. you certainly won't be the first to go through this, so you'll have to evaluate you situation periodically. and by situation i mean everything: relationship, residency interests, how competitive you and your significant other are, etc. and remember that anything worked out "informally" is not guaranteed - the only way to 100% guarantee you end up in the same place as someone else is to participate in the match together and work out a matched rank list. and then you both have to successfully match of course.

Agree with the above post.

You need to be in the same year as the person with whom you'd like to do a Couples Match. But you're looking WAY too far in the future - you'd be applying for the 2012 Match, so you've got lots of time. See what you two are interested in over the next couple years - a year off for research (for your girlfriend) is always a consideration if you'd still like to try and match at the same time.