Couples Match Allopathic w/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deco0826

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was wondering if I could get some input on my situation. I am currently an MS3 and a USMD school and my SO is an MS3 at an osteopathic school. We both just recently received our USMLE scores and he did significantly better than I did. (238 vs 247). I am interested in doing a Gen Surg residency and he still has no idea what he wants to go into, but he is interested in Ophtho, IM and interventional radiology as of now.

I guess my question is- if we both apply for the couples match, would this affect our chances of getting competitive residencies in our fields? We have heard a variation of opinions on this, especially saying that if we couples match we might have to settle for our bottom picks, but I was hoping that with our USMLE scores as well as other things in our CV's we could end up matching at decent programs.

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

I would also be interested in hearing more perspectives on this topic. If anyone else could chime in it would be greatly appreciated- especially anyone who has been through a similar situation. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
You need to talk to your Clinical Education Deans ASAP.

Hey guys!

I was wondering if I could get some input on my situation. I am currently an MS3 and a USMD school and my SO is an MS3 at an osteopathic school. We both just recently received our USMLE scores and he did significantly better than I did. (238 vs 247). I am interested in doing a Gen Surg residency and he still has no idea what he wants to go into, but he is interested in Ophtho, IM and interventional radiology as of now.

I guess my question is- if we both apply for the couples match, would this affect our chances of getting competitive residencies in our fields? We have heard a variation of opinions on this, especially saying that if we couples match we might have to settle for our bottom picks, but I was hoping that with our USMLE scores as well as other things in our CV's we could end up matching at decent programs.

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife is a DO (step I 239, top 5% of class) applying OB/Gyn and I am MD (step I 252, not AOA) applying general surgery. We are applying broadly and are focusing on applying geographically (LA, NY, Chicago, Baltimore). Although we haven't finalized our applications, I estimate we'll both apply to 60-80 programs with a mix of academic and community programs. So far deans and advisors from both schools have been supportive. It helps that she's an all-star and my application is solid. Will update throughout the year.

Our situation is even more complicated... we have 2 kids!

My wife is a DO (step I 239, top 5% of class) applying OB/Gyn and I am MD (step I 252, not AOA) applying general surgery. We are applying broadly and are focusing on applying geographically (LA, NY, Chicago, Baltimore). Although we haven't finalized our applications, I estimate we'll both apply to 60-80 programs with a mix of academic and community programs. So far deans and advisors from both schools have been supportive. It helps that she's an all-star and my application is solid. Will update throughout the year.

Our situation is even more complicated... we have 2 kids!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! Sending you both good vibes for the match season.

I just wanted to ask a quick clarification question: you are both doing the ACGME match- will you be doing it through the couples match or will you each be doing your own application but applying to similar geographic areas?

I just wanted to ask a quick clarification question: you are both doing the ACGME match- will you be doing it through the couples match or will you each be doing your own application but applying to similar geographic areas?

ACGME couples match

Reactions: 1 users
My fiancé and I (both IMGs) couples matched last year into anesthesia (her) and gen surg (categorical) so anything is possible. Just need to do well on your STEPs and try to do as many away rotations as you can in some of your prospective sites if possible.