Couples match - calling a program that has already rejected you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tfom08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a program sends a rejection email, do you think it is totally pointless to call and ask for reconsideration if a spouse receives an interview for a program at the same institution and you really are interested in the city? I'm trying to figure out if this is worth trying. On the one hand, I'm thinking there is no harm in trying. But on the other hand, is it kind of like begging after already being rejected?

Members don't see this ad.

There's no harm in trying. Worst that can happen is they reject you again. But you may want to consider having your spouse contact his/her PD first to see if they can pull some strings.

There's no harm in trying. Worst that can happen is they reject you again. But you may want to consider having your spouse contact his/her PD first to see if they can pull some strings.

The actual program director, or the program coordinator? I've never spoken directly with a PD, can you just call or email a PD without speaking to the PC first?

Ever notice that the 'D' and the 'C' are very close to each other on the keyboard? :oops:

Have your spouse contact the program coordinator and politely explain the situation. The coordinator can relay the info to the program director(s), who could try to convince your prospective program to give you a shot.

It worked for one of my classmates. It's definitely worth a shot if you're really interested in the program.

tfom, at this point in the game, it's totally appropriate to contact the PD, imho. I think the suggestion about getting ur SO's PD to pull strings is brilliant. I've seen this happen with pre-lim applicants on the IM trail...do it, it's already happening with ppl I've been on IV's with...
good vibes ur way! :luck:

bump.. old thread, but would love updated insight. also, how would you even phrase this to your pd without lowering your own spot on their rank list?

bump.. old thread, but would love updated insight. also, how would you even phrase this to your pd without lowering your own spot on their rank list?

I think at this point in the year it would be way too late to try something like this. Most programs are close to wrapping things up.

And there is inherent risk to your own ranking, obviously. But if the person you are couples matching with is otherwise not even going to get an interview there, that's kind of a moot point, no?

I think at this point in the year it would be way too late to try something like this. Most programs are close to wrapping things up.

And there is inherent risk to your own ranking, obviously. But if the person you are couples matching with is otherwise not even going to get an interview there, that's kind of a moot point, no?

Well there's always a chance of only one of us matching ..